Punch holes in deli cups? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Punch holes in deli cups?

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

I would like to know how to punch holes in deli cups.

In the past I got the pre-vented/pre-punched delis from Superior Enterprise. Now I work for a packaging company so I bought a case of deli cups and lids but not sure how to go about punching the holes. I was thinking a soldering gun might work (done outside due to fumes). My co-worker was thinking I could use a paper punch or a leather punch, he experimented on some other polyethylene product samples but it cracked the plastic. What do you do?

Thanks!
-April

Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
SPJ
Soldering iron.
Works great!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
soldering gun worked beautifully! Thanks Steve

Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
KelliH
You can also use a regular hole punch too. You can get small sized punches that punch the same size holes as the pre punched cups have.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Tiger Lilly
DANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
You can also use a regular hole punch too. You can get small sized punches that punch the same size holes as the pre punched cups have.
She stole my answer!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Gina Gauvin
And if ya keep forgetting to buy one and your stuck in a pinch, take a wooden match and light it, blow it out and quickly push it thru the side of the deli cup. Makes a perfect hole.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
DAND
I haven't tried it on the cups but on the lids I have used a safety pin (just watch you fingers ). I have a hole punch I have used but some cups have too big of a ridge to use it on or it bends the rim and the fit then is compromised and the lid could be popped off. The soldering iron works well in a well ventilated area (melting plastic can make you ). My last suggestion is if you have a drill with a small bit (new will work much better then an old bit) or a Dremel will buzz through a number of them at a time (again watch those fingers ).

Old 10-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
hmm when my co-worker tried the leather and paper punch, it cracked the plastic. Maybe he was pressing too hard. And yes, well ventilated area is a must when soldering plastic, those fumes are toxic.

Now I just have to sit down and put holes in the other 497 cups I bought. will the fun never stop? heh

Old 11-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
tinmantribe5
I like to use my Xray vision ---------------------------------------------
A work bench vice with a closet dowel rod ,and slip cup over dowel a couple at a time and drill this way it has tenchon behind the wall of the cup,and spin and drill

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Ed Clark
Soldering iron works great for putting holes in plastic, its as easy as ice cream on a warm summers evening.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!