Bad Guy Jay of Franken Chams - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Raidous
Unhappy Jay of Franken Chams

I attended the most recent reptile expo in white plains New York. There I purchased a young male Blue Bar Ambilobe panther chameleon as well as as cage with magnetic perches for about $320+ from a vendor named Jay of a breeding organization called "Franken Chams". The chameleon when I purchased it was pretty thin but thankfully he ate voraciously and has been growing fast. I was told by Jay that the cage with magnets and magnetic perches was his design and was innovative and safe. However on June 17th I found out this was not the case.Though I had assembled the cage to his directions and it seemed secure somehow my Chameleon had ate one of the rather powerful magnets. The magnet became lodged WITHIN his dewlap and somehow attracted 2 other magnet, clamping onto his dewlap EXTERNALLY from either side. They were clamping potently hard on his neck and he was almost suffocating. In addition to that the strength of the magnetic force was pinning him against the perches further torturing him. I had to call out of work and rush my Chameleon to the Avian and Exotic center of Medicine in New York City. Due to the danger of swallowing the magnet,stress, and pain the vet had to put him under anesthesia so she could safely remove the round magnet from within his dewlap as well as the 2 external clamping ones. Fortunately the chameleon survived up until this point. However on his neck there is visible black abnormalities in the skin likely from lost blood circulation. In addition to this the chameleon is unable to eat normally, his tongue seeming to be damaged during the magnetic crushing. Though he is still active I still had to pay a 301$ vet bill, have a future vet visit to come, and am unsure if his tongue will fully recover and if he will be able to live a normal life. The same night after this fiasco I had messaged Jay of "Franken Chams" on the "Franken Chams" facebook page as well as his gmail at jaysick@gmail.com what had happened. In addition to this I text messaged the same contents of the email to the number he posted on franken chams' facebook page. Currently I have not received any form of response from Jay or Franken Chams even following up on the events. This cage though seemingly innovative and a good idea MUST be modified or altered because it is DANGEROUS and the concept nearly resulted in my chameleon's death and may have permanently disabled him. I do not recommend this breeder\vendor or his magnetic products and he does not offer any customer service. Customers should be warned. I will also attach pictures of the email\facebook message\and injury on my chameleons neck. Should the copy of the Vet invoice also be requested to be viewed or their contact information as a reference\proof of my word that is information I could offer.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
strange_evil
Those cage's he sale are very dangerous and he should take responsibility for his faulty product.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Jay Sick
You are a low life lyer no chameleon unless it is on steroids and can bench 600 pounds could move one of those magnets. let alone use it's tongue to do so those are rare earth super neodymium magnets the strongest magnets pound for pound on the planet one magnet can hold atleast 2 gallons of water Your chameleon did not eat one nor did it maneuver 2 other magnets any one with a brain will figure it out . We have been on vacation for the past week and what do i see when i get home this crap. Anesthesia ???? are you serious chameleon was thin??? who are you trying to kid in none of the other statements did you say thin i guess on here yah just spice it up for the public. I would have offered you compensation if you were able to prove this to me but instead yo ran here on a public forum to bash me good job pal.

Chams don't go under Anesthesia well so your vet was pretty stupid to do so that shortens their life span, if the cham was thin why did you buy it then ??? lol hahaha makes allot of sense to me i always buy thin sick chams lol ahahaha. You are a shinning example of why i don't want to sell to the public anymore. Because somehow it there is always some jackass embellishing stories online to make the story seem more dramatic than it is trying to get money out of a person. Also if i remember correctly i offered you the option to epoxy the branches in place which is one of the 6 variations we offer and you wanted the magnets so i don't see how yah doing this. I will say this if that cham is strong enough to do what you said it did ill buy it back from yah cause that will be one hell of a breeder.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
hhmoore
Way to come off as a complete , Jay.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Lucille
I checked out the video of the magnetic perches, it looks like the magnets are on the exterior of the cage, how would a critter get to them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPMKWehW5T8

Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Jay Sick
of course im considered the @$$HOLE because i respond as blunt and to the point as possible. i have some kid lying on a forum about me i respond and defend my self using humor to prove points but yea sure im the @$$hole lol ahahahaha

Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
Lucille
Jay I think it would be more effective to post a picture of the critter in question if you have saved one, (or to ask the buyer to post one) and let readers judge whether it was thin. In addition, I think it would be effective to ask more details as to how this critter came to swallow a magnet that seems to be affixed on the outside of the cage.
There is no need to carry on, and it probably puts people off when you do. Act like a businessman.
I'd like to hear more details from the buyer and see a picture.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Jay Sick
Lucille thank you for posting this video, allow me to explain what he is referring to the branches that go back to front can either be hardwired with a special epoxy designed for animal cages or rest on these magnets so a human can move them to the desired branch spot when young or if using for a small cham this method is fine we always tell people to epoxy them if they get too big because the branch it self could spin with he weight of the cham on it almost like a rotisserie this gets fixed with another magnet added to the branch. We also offer the service of redoing the cage with epoxy for free down the road for people if needed. So the magnets are covered by a branch so this cham would had to have moved the branch then shot his tongue at the super magnet and been strong enough to yank it off a plastic coated metal rod.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Raidous
Not once was I disrespectful or cursing at you jay in Any form of outreach I made. It is also unusual how now the day after I posted here on the forum you swiftly respond. Also if you were truly busy or on vacation how were you posting on the Franken cham page during the time you were ignoring my messages. Time to post but not read a customer's facebook message,gmail message, or txt message . You check none of those since tuesday? Also to clarify in person you told me to use magnets on the interior of the cage to bind the magnetic perches together to create a grid like array.as well as the ones on the outside to link them to the cage. And if you say that's not true not only do i have 2 friends who were with me at the of purchase but even if that wasn't the correct set up why give me all of the extra magnets ? What would the point be if they were unnecessary or a dangerous tactic ? Regarding the chams weight he was thin but the deal you offered me him being a decent age as well as the cage was a score I couldn't pass up for $320. Also you did tell me he ate like a beast and I believed you and yo were correct. That part is of little concern. As for the putting the chameleon to sleep for the extraction of the magnets im not A vet and I don't believe you are and I don't know its long term effects but I know the magnets would have killed him . At any point if anyone desires to see the vet invoice and or see written prooof or verbal proof from the vet and or vet techs that this did indeed happen I will happily attach. The vet invoice or send a copy to anyone desiring or give the contact information of the vet office and get written confirmation from the certified vet. I didn't once question the strength of the magnets however somehow it happened. If you want to speak/resolve this like a businessman I'mi more than willing to and I have no ill will toward you but I am unhappy with the situation, that I had to resort to this forum to get a response and that you responded hostile like you did.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Ed Clark
Raidous

you are making some strong claims. please post a pic of the thin cham.and anything else to back up your claims.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!