Kansas Herping Time!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
sppeavy
Kansas Herping Time!!

Did some herping last weekend and did very well, so anyone in the Topeka area wanting to see and find some critters, hit me up. I have been finding everything except Box Turtles. Its too dry still for those guys. Im heading out early tomorrow, so if you want go, reply tonight, or tomorrow is okay for Sunday trip. sppeavy@hotmail.com.............Later

Old 04-20-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
reptilebreeder
Did you get out, over the weekend? If so see anything?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
sppeavy
Yep, sure did. Sorry I dont have the setup to show pictures. In the past two weeks, I have found 100s of ringnecks, 5 lined snakes, 1 brown snake, 12 collard lizards, 18 great plains skinks, 6 coal skinks, 100s of wall lizards, 14 race runners, 9 red-sided garters, 7 yellow-bellied racers, 5 great plains rat snakes, 1 prairie kingsnake, 1 red milksnake, 2 banded water snakes, 100s of painted turtles, 1 western masasauga, and tons of frogs. Also have seen alot of DORs............1 masasauga, 1 speckled king, 1 prairie king, and many others.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
reptilebreeder
Must be nice. After weeks of rain and cold, we have finally got great weather the past 2 days here, but I haven't gotten the opportunity to get out in the field. I may get a chance for a quick day jaunt this Friday.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
old guy
Gads sppeavy, same here in my

" niche " of the world ( Kansas ). Reading other field reports including other web-sites, it's like Kansas has movement of herps way before other states in all species or at least numbers. What I find amazing is other places, west Texas for example as to my other field collecting state , hasn't been reported in. AND we have been warmer some what but not that much. It could be a lack of herpers going out yet in other regions. By all reports of our state, there has been observation of thousands ( include the ringnecks here though , LOL ! ) herps already out. I also think that the weather system that we have encountered recently has a lot to do with what we have seen out. What do some of you all think....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
Yep, sure did. Sorry I dont have the setup to show pictures. In the past two weeks, I have found 100s of ringnecks, 5 lined snakes, 1 brown snake, 12 collard lizards, 18 great plains skinks, 6 coal skinks, 100s of wall lizards, 14 race runners, 9 red-sided garters, 7 yellow-bellied racers, 5 great plains rat snakes, 1 prairie kingsnake, 1 red milksnake, 2 banded water snakes, 100s of painted turtles, 1 western masasauga, and tons of frogs. Also have seen alot of DORs............1 masasauga, 1 speckled king, 1 prairie king, and many others.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
sppeavy
Hey, oldguy?

I have a question for you. I have the worst luck with finding Timber Rattlers. Any ideas of where to go. Most guys I have talked to are pretty rude and unwilling to help out. Thats the one snake I cant find. I would gladly take anyone to any of my herping spots. I have a good Masasauga spot in Wabansee County. I have found 5 in the last year there. The recent one was more brown in color than the others that were more grey. Any ideas on the colors? Plus, have you ever found a hognose in Kansas? We are supposed to have 3 types, but I would be happy to see a dead one at this rate. O in 5 years of herping here. I would like to come down by you next weekend. Are you busy at all. I plan to be west of Emporia, out by Americus and that area. Anyways, any clues. I will except clues, since nobody likes to share spots. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
old guy
Timbers and western hogs

I have found timbers out in the area of either Wight City or Dwight City, It has been many, many years ago and in treed areas of course by creeks. The known dens are in the counties of Franklin and Miami that I know of for sure, North of Manhattan and Topeka they have been documented also with some found out by that big water reservoir. One of my friends many years ago found some stagnant loners out just a little south of Alta Vista.

Hogs are one of those bonus accidents by me on finding as I have found only 3 in all of my years out in the Flinthills. They were all found west of 177 off of McDowell Creek Road.

I'm heading out tomorrow (Sunday ) with my Cowboy friend from Missouri that goes to west Texas with me for some Flint Hills looking. I made him buy the non-resident hunting license. If anyone sees a big ass ford pick-up out around Alma with Missouri tags, yell at us.

On the mass that I have found in this state, I too have found a more brown colored mass around here and north with some having a not so distinct pattern but the ones with this has always been with size. The ones we have found farther west , say around Russell and Wilson, has been the picture perfect in color and pattern but always smaller............

I won't know about next weekend till Thursday as to my work schedule if I have to work or not sppeavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
I have a question for you. I have the worst luck with finding Timber Rattlers. Any ideas of where to go. Most guys I have talked to are pretty rude and unwilling to help out. Thats the one snake I cant find. I would gladly take anyone to any of my herping spots. I have a good Masasauga spot in Wabansee County. I have found 5 in the last year there. The recent one was more brown in color than the others that were more grey. Any ideas on the colors? Plus, have you ever found a hognose in Kansas? We are supposed to have 3 types, but I would be happy to see a dead one at this rate. O in 5 years of herping here. I would like to come down by you next weekend. Are you busy at all. I plan to be west of Emporia, out by Americus and that area. Anyways, any clues. I will except clues, since nobody likes to share spots. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
sppeavy
Hey, call me at 785-230-4088. Ill meet you guys out there and show you a few spots of mine and a new spot I just found. Its been a plains rat snake area so far, and a few others. Later, Shaun

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!