"Day" lighting for Balls - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
sarasara
"Day" lighting for Balls

Most "care sheets" that I've read for BP's say that they need a hide box and full spectrum lighting during the day. My BP stays in his hide box all day long and only comes out at night. My goal is to mimic a natural environment as much as possible, but I have a problem.
Some of these sheets say that they need the light to regulate their cycle and another health related issue (drawing a blank right now). How important is it to have, and if it is so important how does a snake that spends much of it's time in rodent burrows get natural light in the wild?

Old 06-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Ball python are nocturnal by nature, thus the need for full spectrum light is a myth. I have been using 12-h photoperiod and they breed just fine. Intense light and no hide box stress them unnecessarily and can throw them off-feed.

Regards.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
sarasara
"Day" lighting

Thanks for your answer. that's what i figured, i just was hoping to hear it from someone who knew for sure

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!