Red Bull Not Eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
Shakes
Red Bull Not Eating

Hello Everyone, I wanted to mention that my red bull hasn't eaten in a month. The Last meal that he ate was regurged (a month ago). I've tried four times since then and it seems like he is scared of the mice/rats that I try and feed him. He just hisses and runs. Is this normal? What can I do to help him eat again.

thanks

Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
hhmoore
Is this a baby bull (if not, how big is it)? What size prey item are you offering? Live, f/k, or f/t? What type and size is the enclosure? What are the temps? Are you handling him?

In my experience, baby bulls start feeding readily on f/t prey left in with them. It takes them a while to get to the point where they will take prey off tongs. If it is a baby, and you are offering live, you might want to drop back to nestling sized rodents until he is eating regularly. Do you know why he regurged the first time??? Handling, too large a prey item, too hot, too cool, internal parasites...the list of possibilities goes on, but it is an important thing to figure out.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Shakes
He is a three year old, 3.5ft long. The last thing I feed him was a f/t large rat. From the obvious It was too big for him. Have you ever heard after a regurge like this one, snakes being scared of what they are fed? His aquarium is usually the same around 80 degrees. I think at night it might get around 75 or so. I understand that they might go off of feed for some time and thats normal. I don't know how long though. He hasn't lost any weight. He just doesn't want to eat. He just comes out like he usually does but doesn't it. Its annoying.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
norsmis
He could be cycling himself. Did you offer the same size prey item? Try offering him a ft small mouse left in the cage and see if he takes it. Pits cant be fed large prey items like other colubrids.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Shakes
I tried feeding him a f/k jumbo mouse yesterday and he refused. Should I just lower his tempurature and let him hibernate?

If you didn't already know, I am new to this. I'm assuming f/k is (frozen killed) and f/t is (frozen thawed)?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
hhmoore
f/k = fresh killed, f/t = frozen thawed

Personally, I am hesitant to put any animal into brumation if I am not comfortable with their health status. Obviously, that is a judgement we cannot make via the internet. If the only factor in the regurg was prey size, and he hasn't fed in a month, cooling him for a while is an easy, but very reasonable, option. A regurgitation of that nature can send a bullsnake into a downward spiral of recurrent regurg's and weight loss. (Once again, the question is whether he refused it when offered, or if you left it in with him and he didn't take it...though I would have recommended going smaller than jumbo). The month of nonfeeding, though frustrating for you, was probably a good thing.
If you want to give him some down time, just drop his temps(, darken his cage), and leave him alone. Give him a month, and bring him back up...unless you have breeding plans, in which case I would leave him down for 3.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Shakes
Thanks a million hhmoore. That will definitely help me sleep better. This guy is an awesome snake. His cage is too big to stick in a closet but I'll put a blanket over him. I'll check on him in a couple of weeks and try maybe a hopper. Again thanks for the suggestions.

Jos

Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
hhmoore
Jos, I'm not sure what your set up is, but you need to get a decent temp drop to slow down his metabolism...otherwise, all you would be doing is not feeding him for another month (again, not necessarily horrible - provided that he is of good health and body weight to begin with). Bulls will still feed, and can digest at daytime temps in the low 70s.
You should give him a good going over to make sure there is nothing else going on: Is he going through a shed cycle? Are both nares patent? Any unusual noises when he hisses? Any sign/symptom of illness (or potential illness)?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Shakes
I'll double check when I go home. There isn't any unusual noise when he hisses. Do you have any links that I could go to to check out how to look for illnesses in snakes? Thanks again

Old 11-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
Shakes
How to Put into burmation

If I chose to Burmate my pit. How do you go about it? How do you keep the temperature at 50 degrees? Any other info would help.

Thanks
Jos

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!