"Hets" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
deobra2869
"Hets"

Ok I have a question (or a couple) I am more of a co-dom/dom type person but im thinking of getting into a couple recessives.........

ok Question #1
If you breed a known 100% het to a normal what do you get? 100% hets (im pretty positive thats not possible but have to ad it in there) 66% hets, 50% hets? Does it go any lower?

Question #2
I have seen some ads say 66% possible het and some say 66% het. What makes one a possible het and one a true het?

Question #3
Lets say you breed something that is 50% possible het to something that is not het for anything. What does that make the babies? 25% possible hets?

Question #4
lets say you breed a 100% het to a virgin female or something vise versa does that mean they are 100% hets?

Question #5
say you breed a 50% possible het male to a virgin female of any morph, save back all female offspring to breed back to the sire what are the odds of hitting the jackpot? just a 50% possible chance?

The het stuff is kind of confusing to me so if anybody knows any information about this kind of stuff (which im pretty positive im just an idiot and alot of people know LOL) or know where to direct me to get the info it would be great

thank you so much
Deobra Martin

Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
akarikuragi
1. You'd get 50% hets, and 50% normals.

2. When you breed, say, an albino (aa) to a het. albino (Aa) with A representing the dominate normal gene, an a representing the recessive albino gene, you will get 25% normals not het for albino, 50% het for albino, and 25% albinos. Now, the only ones that will show the albino gene. The rest will appear normal, but about 2/3 will be het. 2/3 translated to a percent is 66%.

3. This is continued from above, but kind of answers this question. a 100% het is an animal that is a known het for something. Either it was produced from an (aa) animal to a normal (AA), which would produce all (Aa) animals, or it was bred to another animal and produced the recessive morph, thus proving it is truly het.

The percentage is only for the possibility that an animal is het for something. An animal can't be 50% het for anything. It either is or is not carrying the gene.

4. If you breed a 100% het (Aa) to a normal (aa) you will, as stated in the first answer, get 50/50 normals/hets.

5. This depends on if he is or is not carrying the gene. If he is, he will produce 50/50 like above. It would be better to breed him to a full recessive (aa) or a 100% het (Aa) to see if it is actually carrying the gene. If he isn't carrying it, then he is a normal and won't produce an recessive morphs.

This is a wonderful tool that can help you determine what the percentages of offspring will be. : ) http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard/

Hope I helped. ^^

Old 05-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #3
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by deobra2869 View Post
Ok I have a question (or a couple) I am more of a co-dom/dom type person but im thinking of getting into a couple recessives.........
Co-doms are hets, just that they are visual hets and not recessive hets
Quote:
ok Question #1
If you breed a known 100% het to a normal what do you get? 100% hets (im pretty positive thats not possible but have to ad it in there) 66% hets, 50% hets? Does it go any lower?
You get all normals and each egg has a 50% chance of being a het

Quote:
Question #2
I have seen some ads say 66% possible het and some say 66% het. What makes one a possible het and one a true het?
66% het and 66% pos het are the same thing.

Quote:
Question #3
Lets say you breed something that is 50% possible het to something that is not het for anything. What does that make the babies? 25% possible hets?
A pos het to normals make all normals until that pos het proves to be a het and then the offspring will all be 50% pos hets

Quote:
Question #4
lets say you breed a 100% het to a virgin female or something vise versa does that mean they are 100% hets?
Virgin or not a 100% het to a normal gives each egg a 50% chance of being a het or 50% pos het.

Quote:
Question #5
say you breed a 50% possible het male to a virgin female of any morph, save back all female offspring to breed back to the sire what are the odds of hitting the jackpot? just a 50% possible chance?
Zero chance unless the pos het male is actually a het then each egg has a 50% chance of being a het
Quote:
The het stuff is kind of confusing to me so if anybody knows any information about this kind of stuff (which im pretty positive im just an idiot and alot of people know LOL) or know where to direct me to get the info it would be great
Try the link given you and practice doing pairings and seeing the outcome, you can learn from it : )

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard/

Old 05-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarikuragi View Post
2. When you breed, say, an albino (aa) to a het. albino (Aa) with A representing the dominate normal gene, an a representing the recessive albino gene, you will get 25% normals not het for albino, 50% het for albino, and 25% albinos. Now, the only ones that will show the albino gene. The rest will appear normal, but about 2/3 will be het. 2/3 translated to a percent is 66%.
No, you wouldn't. Your statistical results are correct for a het to het breeding. Breeding an albino to a het albino would produce only albinos and hets. A visual albino cannot produce a non het.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarikuragi View Post
4. If you breed a 100% het (Aa) to a normal (aa) you will, as stated in the first answer, get 50/50 normals/hets.
This was probably just a typo, but for the sake of avoiding confusion, that should read "If you breed a 100% het (Aa) to a normal (AA)"

Old 05-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
akarikuragi
Oopsie. XD Thanks for catching that mistake, it's been a while. XD Should've put a disclaimer. x3

And yeah, I meant (AA) in that last one.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
B&C Ball Pythons
I love genetics talk

Old 05-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
UwabamiReptiles
Jerry made a good point about the co-doms being a visible het. If you breed a pastel to pastel, (same as breeding two 100% hets together) you get 50% pastels, 25% normals, and 25% super pastels. Its the same with breeding 100% hets together, you get 50% 100% hets, 25% normals, and 25% of whatever they are het for. Since recessive hets all look normal and there is no way to tell the hets and normals apart, they just call them 66% or poss hets. So if it makes it easier for you to think in co-dom terms, lessers, cinnys, pastels ect are all 100% het for their super form. The super form is the equivalent to a visible recessive animal. As for 50% het animals, if you breed a pastel(100%) het to a normal, you'll end up with half pastels and half normals. With hets, there is no way to tell which animals are het and which are normal. So its a 50/50 gamble. I hope that all made sense and maybe it'll make it easier for you to think of it that way. I had a hard time figuring out the co-dom stuff til I thought of it this way, they are both essentially the same.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Quiet Tempest
I think everyone pretty much got it all covered for you but just to reiterate.. when you read 100%, 66% or 50% het it's only the probability of that animal carrying the gene you want. You won't be able to "prove them out" as a 100% het until they are old enough to breed.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportMorphs View Post
I love genetics talk
Me too but its usually enough to make me shut up and listen....I'm a nurse but genetics makes my thinker hurt.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
deobra2869
wow thanks alot guys

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!