!!Help! I have a milk man! Markers for het Clown??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
RulingReptiles
Question !!Help! I have a milk man! Markers for het Clown???

Ok, I was trying my best to get my beautiful 90% pied female to produce DH pied clowns. After a few attempts my clown male wasn't showing any interest. So I thought "Maybe is was the female" so I put my male butter in the tub for one night. The next day there was no lock up and they were not locked a couple hours after i put him in there. That was the only time my male butter was in the tub. After that I then continued putting the male clown in the tub and visually saw 6 locks to her by the clown. When the 6 eggs she produced finally hatched.... What is that??? A bright white, brown, purple???. The butter?? What the? So here's my big question????? Is there a marker for a het clown??? The pied marks are all over the all the babies. But I want to know if there is any way I can tell if I have at least one DH Clown pied. So if you can help, your info will be greatly appreciated.

I do appreciate the butter het pied but the thing is the rest of the clutch consisted of 4 males and 1 female. Thus leaving me with only one possible DH female and 4 poss DH males.

!!!HELP!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
snakesRkewl
I haven't made double hets but the normal het clowns I produced look completely normal.

I believe you broke the golden rule when breeding a recessive male, you can't go throwing a co-dom in the mix

Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
RulingReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
I haven't made double hets but the normal het clowns I produced look completely normal.

I believe you broke the golden rule when breeding a recessive male, you can't go throwing a co-dom in the mix
Better than another recessive male. That would be a bad box of chocolates. lol I was just trying to fire someone up, but I made the mistake of falling asleep.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Orlandoflor
yeah no way you can tell just act if the butter was the dad and you have no hets or if you want keep that female and try next year to make those hets and buy the time you got a male ready pray to the morph gods that the girl you kept is a double het lol

Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RulingReptiles View Post
Better than another recessive male. That would be a bad box of chocolates. lol I was just trying to fire someone up, but I made the mistake of falling asleep.
Not really, when you introduce any other male you ruin the clutch as far as being able to know for a fact who the daddy was.
Accident or not, once you placed another male with your pied you wrote off being able to call any of the babies double hets.
This would still be the case even if you didn't get a butter in the clutch, 100% means no other male even had a chance to breed the female.

I understand what your attempt was but you just can't do that to yourself, sorry

Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
hoppingherps
If I were ever going to throw an extra male to a recessive project it should be in super form. A good one would be a super pastel. That way you know any thing that comes out pastel is form the super and anything else is from the other daddy.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
snakesRkewl
I agree, a super is one thing but you tossed a single gene male in not a super.
I feel for you, a double het clutch would have been sweet

Old 08-31-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
scratchypen
Ruling reptiles, I do believe that het clowns have a look, but, even if those babies did have the 'look' you would not be able to sell them as anything but het pieds. I did a similar type of thing this season which I will always kick myself for. Luckily, the person who was doing the breeding project with me was cool about it. Hey, I was prego and my brain was half attached , so, at least I had an excuse. Anyways, post some pics after the babies shed and maybe we can decipher if any look het clownish. But, under no circumstances (unless you want to ruin your rep) would you be able to sell them as het clowns ever unless they prove out for you. Just how it is. Sorry that happened.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
RulingReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchypen View Post
Ruling reptiles, I do believe that het clowns have a look, but, even if those babies did have the 'look' you would not be able to sell them as anything but het pieds. I did a similar type of thing this season which I will always kick myself for. Luckily, the person who was doing the breeding project with me was cool about it. Hey, I was prego and my brain was half attached , so, at least I had an excuse. Anyways, post some pics after the babies shed and maybe we can decipher if any look het clownish. But, under no circumstances (unless you want to ruin your rep) would you be able to sell them as het clowns ever unless they prove out for you. Just how it is. Sorry that happened.
Just a little FYI for everyone. I had not intentions on selling any of these gems. And for sure not as het clowns, if I did I would say theres a chance they could be DHets but I definatly would not be trying to get anymore money for them then just a het pied.. The reason I put the male butter in for a bit was for two reasons. To try and get her in a better mood and because I wouldn't really have minded what I got, a female butter het pied. I know I now need to prove them all out. I was just wondering if there were any markers to look for in a het clown that I was unaware of so I can keep my hopes up.. Coloration? marks? patterns? I thank everyone for all there info on the subject. All though I wasn't expecting to be put down for this breeding project.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
RulingReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoflor View Post
yeah no way you can tell just act if the butter was the dad and you have no hets or if you want keep that female and try next year to make those hets and buy the time you got a male ready pray to the morph gods that the girl you kept is a double het lol
That's what I'll do. If she gains enough fat reserves by this comeing season I put her with the male clown again and hope for a male. Of course this time with no other males... haha
Thanks for the advise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!