"Mite Phase" bananas - possible line project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
EmeraldBoid
"Mite Phase" bananas - possible line project

I am looking to get into bananas in the next one or two months and was originally ready to put some deposits on some 3 gene combos, but honestly I am really liking the classic single gene bananas with the dark melanistic spots. I was wondering if any breeders had been planning on or currently performing any specific projects geared towards increasing the presence of this phenotype, I ask because it may be something I would be interested in starting in my own collection. The ultimate goal of the line would be to produce startling bananas covered almost excessively in black spots...without the use of spray paint.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Big Borg Reptiles
I don't know if 'mite phase' is a very appealing name :P

Maybe go with 'Aged banana'.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who prefers the single gene, most of the combos seem to take away from it in my opinion

Old 07-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
I get 'mite phase', it's the descriptive term used for GTPs bred for heavy black speckling so it would fit although I also get that generally mites are to be avoided. lol

Anyways, I like the way the spotted 'naners look although from what I've seen a lot of people prefer spotless. The spots come in over time, correct?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Big Borg Reptiles
Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the name...it just sounds like a disease lol. I personally like when they're spotless but my partner prefers the spots (we seem to like the opposite things on every morph :P).

Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
EmeraldBoid
I think I will still call the project mite phase line, it will go right in line with my mite phase gtp projects. I know not all ballers appreciate the essence of line breeding like most of us on the Arboreal side; however I would really like to change that with my projects, or at least try .

Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
SPJ
They all get those spots. Any single gene banana or coral glow will look like you dumped pepper on them.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
They all get those spots. Any single gene banana or coral glow will look like you dumped pepper on them.
Yes, but through selective breeding I would like to drastically increase the amount of peppering. Raise up bananas from each clutch and hold back those with the most spots, rinse and repeat until I have bananas that are almost blacked out.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldBoid View Post
Yes, but through selective breeding I would like to drastically increase the amount of peppering. Raise up bananas from each clutch and hold back those with the most spots, rinse and repeat until I have bananas that are almost blacked out.
Ah. I see. I read it as you were thinking only some got the spots. But you're correct. Some are much more "peppered" than others.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Ah. I see. I read it as you were thinking only some got the spots. But you're correct. Some are much more "peppered" than others.
Yeah, I did not word that the best. It will be a long project as I will have to raise them up before I can thin the herd, but I have always been in it for the long haul anyway.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
David Reid
I think like with the Hogg Island Boas, the less spots the better. That is just my personal opinion. You are probably going to have to buy a sub adult Banana because they do not get spots for a few months. My adult male Pastel Banana has very few spots, all things considered, and I like it that way. The three babies I just hatched are obviously spotless, and man, I wish they could stay that way.

Dave

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!