Question on albino Boa constrictor strains - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
paulh
Some congenital deformities are genetic, and some are not. I can remember the thalidomide babies whose limbs did not develop properly because of the drug their mothers took during pregnancy. I simply think that the jury is still out, and we should not jump to a conclusion without some testing.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
M.Dwight
I'm just a believer in the numbers. After over a decade of us breeding these and many thousands of albinos and hets produced I think the testing has already been done. And the numbers speak for themselves.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh
As I remember, the first captive bred albino boa constrictors were produced by Pete Kahl in '93 or '94.

What do you define as an albino boa constrictor? I call the Kahl strain and the Sharp strain albinos. They are claimed to be independent mutant genes. But you could, if you want, throw in salmon, orange tail, and a slew of "T-positive albinos".

I'd like to know who has a T-negative albino.
I think there are only the two. T- or T+ At least that's what I can gather from what I've read. T+ has the ability to produce Tyrosenese (spelling) and T- dont.

A Z.........there are only the two strains that I know of. Kahl, and Sharpe. They have come up with all these different "designer" albinos, ie snow, sunglow,etc. which are everywhere on the market, but those two remain the original strains of albinism.
Here is my girl from Kahl. F4 from the original. She is now 6 1/2 yrs.
And they have come down in price. I paid 3K for her in 99 Or maybe your seeing Sharpes line. His seem to have a platinum lining or something.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 08-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I think there are only the two. T- or T+ At least that's what I can gather from what I've read. T+ has the ability to produce Tyrosenese (spelling) and T- dont.
Too simplistic.

T- albinos are albino because of a nonfunctional tyrosinase enzyme. T+ albinos are albino because something else in the genes and biochemistry isn't working. And that something else could be different things in different T+ albinos.

In species like the lab mouse and (we think) the corn snake, there is at least one mutant gene that produces partly functional tyrosinase. There is melanin, but the animals are lighter than normal.

A couple of years ago I asked Dave Barker whether Sharp or Kahl strain was T-. He didn't know because nobody has tested either strain. Unless there has been a test since, we still do not know. And possibly both strains are T+.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Hey, simple works for me, I'm not a Biochemist. Still sounds alot like what i was trying to say though.

In a manner of simplistic speach. From what I've read, T- CANNOT produce melanin. T+ can . In T- it will never happen, in T+ all the right stuff is there, but not connected properly. When the genes, or enzymes, or whatever, start to connect properly, you get varying degrees of melanin showing thru in T+. Like lavender as an example.

Knowing this, it would seem that the visual of the snake itself would be fairly proof positive. Maybe not actual PROOF, but you get what I mean.

But like I said, I'm no Biochemist. So I dont know 100% for sure. But I do find all this stuff interesting, and have been trying to learn more aout it. And all that I have read, and very few contradictions, has lead me to believe this. In simplistic terms of course.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #16
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Hey, simple works for me, I'm not a Biochemist. Still sounds alot like what i was trying to say though.

In a manner of simplistic speach. From what I've read, T- CANNOT produce melanin. T+ can . In T- it will never happen, in T+ all the right stuff is there, but not connected properly. When the genes, or enzymes, or whatever, start to connect properly, you get varying degrees of melanin showing thru in T+. Like lavender as an example.

Knowing this, it would seem that the visual of the snake itself would be fairly proof positive. Maybe not actual PROOF, but you get what I mean.
T- cannot produce melanin because of a nonfunctional tyrosinase enzyme.

Some T+ snakes can't produce melanin pigment either. They have functional tyrosinase, and the actual cause of the lack of melanin is unknown. Probably something else is not working right.

Some T+ snakes do produce some melanin, but less than normal. The cause may be a partly functional tyrosinase enzyme. Or something else is wrong. Perhaps a mutant gene causes the pigment cells to produce fewer than normal pigment granules. Or the pigment granules are abnormal somehow.

In my opinion, the T- vs T+ split is like looking at a car that won't run and saying that the cause is either a bad battery or a good battery. If the battery is good, then something else is wrong -- broken wiring, nonfunctioning ignition switch, no gas, etc.

In the black rat snake, there are two albinos, T- and T+. They have been tested. The T- has a nonfunctional tyrosinase enzyme, and something else produces the albino condition in the T+, but we do not know what, yet. We do know that they are caused by different mutant genes.

In boa constrictors, there are two albinos, Kahl strain and Sharp strain. Neither has been tested. They seem to be caused by different mutant genes. They can't both have nonfunctional tyrosinase. I can look at the two and say that neither is normal. But just looking at them will not tell me which has nonfuctional tyrosinase. Maybe both of them have functional tyrosinase and different something elses are broken in each strain.

In other words, we have two cars that will not run, and we know that the conditions result from different causes. Which has a bad battery? Or do both have good batteries? Maybe one has no gas and the other has a bad ignition switch.

You tell me. All I know is that we need more tests to narrow the possibilities.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!