Albino Litter Born Today - Tips Please - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Heart and Soul Reptiles
I agree, I would make the two with bad eyes into "freezer pets".
As for the baby with the full belly, just keep it nice and warm.
Personally I keep my guys a little hotter than 87. My tubs are usually always a toasty 90 or so INSIDE, not just the heat tape temperature.
Good luck!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
sFlsniper
dying in a freezer is an awful way to go! you are the reason they have come into the world. you owe them the decency of a clean quick death. buy dry ice and put it and the snakes in a small sealed container if they must be put down. the carbon dioxide will put them down. they will run out of air, pass out (sleep) and die- with no pain.

good luck.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Contrary to popular belief, asphyxiation is NOT the way you want to try and put down your reptiles. This works great for mammals, but it is long and painful process for reptiles. I've known people who tried it, and they regretted it due to how long it takes, and the obvious torment the reptiles went through.

Although freezing is a sucky way to do it, it is quicker then the CO2 Chamber. FYI

Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
sFlsniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Contrary to popular belief, asphyxiation is NOT the way you want to try and put down your reptiles. This works great for mammals, but it is long and painful process for reptiles. I've known people who tried it, and they regretted it due to how long it takes, and the obvious torment the reptiles went through.

Although freezing is a sucky way to do it, it is quicker then the CO2 Chamber. FYI
if that's true it's good to know. I would then cut the head off, I guess, or I would have to think hard on for a swift process.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
AbsoluteApril
Ok, let's get this out here... the vet can put them down or you can put them down. The best way is blunt force head trama (completely destroy the head, not just decapitate). This is not for the faint of heart. I've also talked to someone that culled his by basically dispatching like you would a rat or mouse (wacking the head on a hard surface as quickly as possible). IF you are going to go the freezer route please, please make sure you put the snake in a container (tupperware or something) and place in the fridge first for an hour or so, then the freezer. I've always been told this is the better method and slows them down and kind of eases them into the death instead of taking from a warm room directly into the freezing cold of the freezer. Freezing causes ice crystals to form in the blood which is thought to be quite painful. I've done both, prefer the blunt force trama, but it's not always easy to do. Good luck and here's some reading about it:
http://www.anapsid.org/euth.html
http://www.anapsid.org/decap.html

Old 08-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
crotalusadamanteus
I hate Kaplans site. Plenty of good info, but most is heisted from other peoples hard work. No original thoughts at all.

Back on topic sorta...if you truly want to be humane about it, then you need a vet with a lethal injection. Nothing else has been proved humane. When I get home from work I'll try to find the link for some info on this.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
AbsoluteApril
here you go, special considerations for reptiles is on page 23 and discusses using Sodium pentobarbital:

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_we...euthanasia.pdf

Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #18
Immaculate_Reptiles
Wow that sucks... Looks like it's off to the garage with my executioner mask...

Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
Immaculate_Reptiles
It has been done. Hammer and cardboard. Just have to remember they aren't suffering anymore.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculate_Reptiles View Post
Just have to remember they aren't suffering anymore.
Exactly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!