Profile: Harley - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
AbsoluteApril
lookin good! I always like how harlis can show such nice coloration between the tail saddles

Old 05-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
lookin good! I always like how harlis can show such nice coloration between the tail saddles
Thanks! I love it too. His colors looked awesome last night. Had to get some new ones. By the pictures you can't tell how squirmy he was. It was a pain getting those pics!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
Stryker414
what are harlequins?

Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker414 View Post
what are harlequins?
Harlequins from what I understand are a line bred colombian boa, basically a form of pastel. Used a lot to "clean" up coloring and patterns when breeding.

April, mind to chime in here for specifics?

Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
AbsoluteApril
but of course!

The whole trait isn't really understood yet. Tim (the originator) says it appears to be an incomplete dominant trait. It really refers to a specific bloodline.

This is the explaination I have used before:
The Harlequin line was started by Tim Magee and refined by himself and his brother Brendan however I don't know what happened to either of them and both of their websites are down (harlequinboa.net and bcibydesign.com). So I'm going from memory here... Tim bred two average or normal colombians and half the litter came out with pattern aberrancies and intense color. He bred F2 and outcrossed and these traits kept passing on and showing up, getting more and more crazy so he named the line Harlequin.

Harlequins in general grow to have intense pinks and orange color as well as known for having aberrant patterns (stripe tails and conneted/chainlink saddles are the most common). They are similar to jungles in a way except there's no super form. There's been a lot of back and forth arguing about the genes involved because it's not nailed down and I don't want to get into the whole debate. Some people feel it is a co-dom morph others feel it is line-bred. What is true is that the closer the animals are to the original founding line or the more 'harli' blood that is in the mix the better the animals look and the more they express the trait. You can also get some really crazy looking babies from 'average' looking harli parents.

here are some previous links where this is discussed with photos:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ight=harlequin

Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Stryker414
Thanks Jeremy and "but of course" April. I did think that harlequins resembled jungles.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Is this an indicator to the trait? Meaning something they all possess?

Nice looking critter Jeremy. Can't believe you thought of selling him. He'd make a good mate for any female IMO.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Is this an indicator to the trait? Meaning something they all possess?
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an indicator but it's something I've noticed that seems to be common in the line, I'm far from an expert though (even if I try to sound like one sometimes)

Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
jrbannister0726
I had a nice litter of hypo harleys and normal harleys back in april. I think it is a co-dom trait. the mom has a nice clean pattern, but nothing special in the color department. However out of 29 live, 2 still, and five slugs every baby was high colored like the dad and the vast majority 60-75% were abberently patterned. Only 8 non-hypos and 4 were cblt like the mother. i have photos posted on fauna somewhere of the dad, mom, and babies, but if you cant find them i can post some. Bill has two of the hypos from the litter. the dad is from brendan's 08 double does litter and this fall im going to breed him to his double dose poss. super sister and see what happens.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #20
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbannister0726 View Post
I had a nice litter of hypo harleys and normal harleys back in april. I think it is a co-dom trait. the mom has a nice clean pattern, but nothing special in the color department. However out of 29 live, 2 still, and five slugs every baby was high colored like the dad and the vast majority 60-75% were abberently patterned. Only 8 non-hypos and 4 were cblt like the mother. i have photos posted on fauna somewhere of the dad, mom, and babies, but if you cant find them i can post some. Bill has two of the hypos from the litter. the dad is from brendan's 08 double does litter and this fall im going to breed him to his double dose poss. super sister and see what happens.
Lets add some Harley photos!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!