ok Question on Perilite?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
snared99
Arrow ok Question on Perilite??

I recently changed ovver to perilite when incubating, but notice that the perilite seems too dry. I used the exact measurements albey says on her site, but still seems too dry after a week or so. Anyone have any insight into this.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
LeosForLess
I also noticed that, i think its that the perlite holds it in like a rock and vermiculite lets the water show. Kinda confusing. Perlite is less pliant and water cant be squeezed out of it.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Jeremy Letkey
Pat, first let me point out that Albey is a man. LOL
Secondly if you have the .8x1 ratio it does seem a little dry. As long as the eggs don't seem to be shriveling I would not worry. Having the mixture too wet is worse than it not being wet enough. If after a few weeks the eggs seem to be shriveling you can add a little water. If you feel the need to do this please do it carefully. Only add it as a last resort and only to the sides of the container. If you do the weighing correctly in the beginning, you should not have to add any water. I know it seems dry but it should be good.

P.S. here is a picture of Albey on the left. Setting up for the NARBC show at Tinley Park.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
LeosForLess
LOL good point. I was pretty angry he didnt lower prices b4 NARBC cuz i didnt even wanan look at his booth with the prices of hi geckos. Where does Albey live?

Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
snared99
Well i sincerly apologize to albey, and the eggs did not dent or shrink so we will see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys!

Old 01-03-2006, 04:57 AM   #6
twh49801
Wink mixing works for me

i also have found that perlite is too dry and vermiculite is too wet,so i mix 2 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite and add water by equal weight of the final mix,works great.have fun

Old 01-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
raiquee
I also use Albey's incubation techniche and has great sucess. Albey is a wonderful man, and his geckos may be high priced to some, but you get what you payed for and I wouldn't trade in the geckos i got from him for ANYTHING. They are going to be the cornerstone of some of my future projects

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!