releasing permitted animals (venomous in FL) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
hhmoore
releasing permitted animals (venomous in FL)

THis subject came up in a recent BOI thread, and I didn't want to pursue it there and distract from the real topic...
Referencing the State of FL and its venomous reptile license:
What impact might releasing permitted animals have on one's license? For my NYS venomous license, I had to report new acquisitions (births, purchases, turn ins, etc) as well as the cause of any decrease in number (sale, transfer, death). In the aforementiond thread, the poster stated that she had released a nonfeeding cottonmouth "to give it a chance". I don't want to get into the whole ethics issue of releasing captive animals (so please keep this focused); but I'm curious about the wording of FL's venomous license, and if there is mention of release.
To the poster in that thread: you specifically mentioned an inventory list, are you really going to submit that you released a hot? or, after having posted that on an open forum (where it cannot be deleted or edited), are you going to enter it as deceased?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Susan S.
Harald, I am not certain what Florida's policy is on releasing. In my 20 years experience with hots and many species of non-hots, if it comes down to a serious survival issue for an indigenous species, I do consider release. I intend to inform my Florida inspector of the death of the coral and the release of the hatchling moccasin, I have always been hones and forthright with FFWCC. I guess I will find out the answer.

As far as the ethics of releasing "captive" animals.....my question would be ...is this really a captive animal? I have the feeling the animals I received from Dan were just recently taken from the wild. I have many years experience retrieving EDBs, corals and moccasins from residential developments and most often they would not eat. Is it really fair to the animal to collect it from the wild today and tomorrow refer to it as a "captive" animal?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
hhmoore
As I said, I have no interest in getting involved in the "ethics" discussion...its been done to death, and people will do what they will do.
My question was about the terms of the license...for whatever reason, I thought there was a statement about/against release. Might not have been FL's though - I've looked at a few over the years, and have been out of hots for some time. I am glad that you take an honest approach, and hopefully it won't create any issues. Thanks for your response.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
chamgirl99471
You would have to contact the Florida Fish And Wildlife Commision.... I believe that it is against the law to release and animal that has been in captivity or purchased as such but I'm not certain if they have changed that rule or not. As for releasing... It's unsafe as these animals lose their fear of humans and may become a nuisance... I worked at a zoo and have spoken to a Fish and Wildlife officer about it and that was his reasoning and what they are told. This was a few years ago but they should be able to clear up anything for you!!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
deborahbroadus
Logically since it's not "spelled out" I would assume that this would hold true:

http://www.calusaherp.org/business/laws.htm

372.901 Inspection.—
Poisonous or venomous reptiles, held in captivity, shall be subject to inspection by an inspecting officer from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The inspecting officer shall determine whether the said reptiles are securely, properly, and safely
penned. In the event that the reptiles are not safely penned, the inspecting officer shall report the situation in writing to the person or firm owning the said reptiles. Failure of the owner or exhibitor to correct the situation within 30 days after such written notice shall be grounds for revocation of the license or permit of said owner or exhibitor.History.—s. 2, ch. 57-415; s. 169, ch. 99-245.

The animal is no longer "Safely Penned."

Old 04-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Rattlesnake
I believe it is against the law in most of the states to release any kind of reptile, mammal, etc/ native or non-native species without express permission of the Fish and Wildlife Department.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!