Spotted and Childrens - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
rosysrule
Spotted and Childrens

Man, with all the posts I've glanced over in here about retics and burms, I feel kinda out of place (err, small may be a better word) posting about spotted and childrens pythons!

At any rate, any of ya'll keep or breed these two? I would LOVE to know where I could find more information on them, as I keep running into dead ends. I dunno, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

From what I do know about them, they seem like great little snakes and they really are quite beautiful.

~Christy

Old 02-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
SIRS
http://jjjreptile.itgo.com/custom3.html for spotted pythons

Old 02-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
rosysrule
Awesome. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
hhmoore
No need to feel out of place or small. I can't speak for the Children's, but I keep Cape York spotted pythons. Great snakes, and it's a shame that the smaller species are so frequently overlooked (I was guilty of that myself in my former activities)

Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Junkyard
I love children's pythons. I have a pair I am hoping breed this year, they are wonderful little snakes and very forgiving. I think they are probably some of the best for beginners and advanced keepers.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...ildrens_python

http://www.smuggled.com/chicom1.htm

http://cc.usu.edu/~jgjulander/ChildrensCare.html

Just a few websites for you. The UK reptile magazine just came out last month with an awesome article on Children's Pythons, it is really good and worth getting if you are looking for some info. Dang if I can find the magazine, I would tell you what it is called and which issue it is in, if it shows up I will post it.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
SPJ
Here's a few shots of adults and last years babies.
Children's pythons are underrated IMO. I think they are great.

VERY FIESTY RED PHASE FEMALE FROM LAST YEAR

This one gives you an idea of just how tiny they are when they hatch. It's on my finger.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
ms_terese
I love Childrens, Spotteds, and Cape York Spotteds. I agree with SPJ, they're very underrated as pets. Manageable size, beautiful, and typically docile demeanors.

Tons of pics of mine on my website, so I won't post them here.

Don't feel silly talking about the smaller breeds...they have plenty of exceptional qualities and advantages~ I can clean ALL the Cape York tanks in the time it takes my husband to clean one burm cage

Old 02-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
Junkyard
Okay, I was wrong about the magazine, it is a USA mag not UK. Since I found it. It is:

2006 Annual Reptiles USA volume 11

PetCo should carry it. Here are my children's to show off:

Old 02-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #9
rosysrule
Man ya'll have some gorgeous snakes! Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I want to get into keeping boids, but I'm just not ready for the size a lot of them can reach. I dunno, maybe that makes me a whimp, but I'd rather not keep a snake that gets so big it could eat my dog. ....at least not right now...I need TONS more experience!

Anyways...I've been researching the spotted and childrens and find them quite intriguing. (As well as some of the pacific island boas and rosys of course!)

Seems they are rather hardy snakes. Are they finicky as hatchlings or are they pretty easy to start on f/t pinkies?

Thanks for humoring my 'newbie' questions! I really soak up a lot from reading everyone's posts!

~Christy

Old 02-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
ms_terese
Quote:
Seems they are rather hardy snakes. Are they finicky as hatchlings or are they pretty easy to start on f/t pinkies?
I've heard some stories about Childrens being rough to start feeding, but that's never been my experience. They've always been regular feeders, though not as voracious as the Spotted babies! I swear, every Spotted hatchling I've ever had has attacked food like there was no tomorrow!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!