What IS this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
ms_terese
What IS this?

I've received this pic no less than 6 times via email, with a claim that these are "spiders" found in Iraq.

Can anyone ID this creature, or even verify the validity of the photo?
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
greenfiremajick
They are called camel spiders...they are real and they are called camel spiders because they get at least as big as a camel's foot......

Old 04-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #3
birdkat188
Terese this may help

Hi Terese
I have gotten the same E-mail, we have them here in West Texas just alot smaller.
They are called many things.
sunscorpions,sunspiders,windscorpion and windspiders.
(solifugae) 3/8 to 2 inches long
Hope this may have been of some help to you. they are ugly

Kathy Ellis
Reptile Locators

Old 04-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #4
Ken Harbart
Camel spiders are real. The solifugids found in Kuwait/Iraq are large, fast, and intimidating as all hell. Although nonvenomous, their bite is pretty darn painful, and having one run up my arm was enough to make me scream like a little girl.

I look at it this way, if something that small, and nonvenomous, routinely preys upon yellow deathstalker and Androctonus scorpions, it deserves a wide berth from me.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
ms_terese
YIKES!

I'm trying so hard to overcome my fear of spiders, (spiders and cockroaches, the only things I can think of that I'm terrified of) but that picture just makes me ITCH!

Old 04-19-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
Reptile Locators
Wink Wow That's a big one!

I would have to agree with ya ken the solifugids are a intimidating
thing, and I have been bit by a small one here in west texas, and would hate to think of what the pain would feel like from one of the camel spider,something that big OUCH! and goes to show that not all things are bigger in Texas LOL! but as far as the ones here i have seen them attack scorpions, Tarantula's, and have even found them eating small lizards, they seem to have some sort of thingamabob that sticks out of two of their front legs, mind you i am no expert on these thing but have enough knowledge to stay away from them i have a fear of insects / and spiders that i am trying to overcome myself, i do find my self intrigued by some.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:46 PM   #7
ms_terese
Quote:
they seem to have some sort of thingamabob that sticks out of two of their front legs,
While I was scratching at the imaginary itching and contemplating "thingamabobs", I came up with a grand idea....

"Godzilla Meets The Camel Spider"

Old 04-21-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
Sand&SunReptile
Heh

I have to agree. Godzilla meets the Giant Mutant Spider, aka the Camel Spider would be a good film. That has to be the biggest spider I have ever seen in my life. I am also not to fond of spiders. Ill stick to my snakes lol.
Mike Fortier.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
Snakebyt
wonder if i could get some of those shipped to me.. those would be cool....

Old 04-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Copperheadman
That is why it's very important to shake your boots before putting them on when you go camping .Would REALLY hate to have a couple of those mating in my boots before I slip em on!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!