Chicken and Spaetzle - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 12-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
bcr229
Chicken and Spaetzle

Spaetzle is a German egg noodle, heavy on the egg. I like them better than dumplings since they hold together better and are very forgiving of being overcooked; I've found dumplings tend to dissolve. For either dish I use a whole free-range chicken as it has a strong taste that does well when stewed, and the low and slow cooking time ensures the meat is tender if using an older bird.

Ingredients

Chicken, either whole, or parts you'd normally use for a chicken and dumpling recipe.
2 large or 3 small onions, chopped
2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
2-3 celery stalks, cleaned and cut into chunks.
Salt, pepper, garlic, and other spices to taste.

4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups flour

Directions

In a large stock pot brown the onions in a little oil or butter.

Add the chicken, carrots, celery, and spices with enough water to cover the chicken.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cover.

Simmer for 1.5 hours for a whole bird, an hour if using parts.

Once the chicken is cooked turn off the heat, remove the chicken from the pot, and allow to cool enough to cut the meat from the bone. Put the meat back in the pot.

Combine the eggs, milk, and salt in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the flour to make dough.

Bring the chicken stew back to a boil.

Place a spaetzle maker over the pot, then pour half of the batter into the cup of the device.

Quickly slide the cup back and forth to allow the batter to drop through.

Repeat with second half of batter, working quickly, until all the batter is cooking in the pot.

Note: if you do not have a spaetzle maker use a collander or ricer to make strings out of the dough. I use a slotted spoon and a fork. It's not pretty but it works.

Once all of the dough is in the pot set the spaetzle maker aside and give the dumplings a good stir.

Let them cook for a few minutes, until they are floating on the surface.

Serve up bowls of the soup/stew immediately.

You can also make just plain spaetzle by cooking the batter in boiled salted water, then serve it with a sprinkle of nutmeg and topped with butter. I find that bland though.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
JColt
Thanks Melinda, Just printed this out. I just made a quickie shredded Pork Roast with Spaetzle and Sauerkraut and apple juice. Spaetzle is great on a cold day.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
bcr229
Yes, it is, definitely comfort food without being overly heavy and filling.

I found another recipe where you cook it, then toss it with kielbasa and onions that have been fried.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
wvaherp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I found another recipe where you cook it, then toss it with kielbasa and onions that have been fried.
Top that with some home made beer cheese and I'd be in heaven!

You've got me wanting to get a spaetzle maker now...

Old 12-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Helenthereef
OK, so I'm a cultural dummy here, but please....

You've explained what "spaetzle" (not a word I'd heard before) is, but now someone needs to define "kielbasa" for me, and for the love of god what on earth is "Beer Cheese"????

Old 12-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
wvaherp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
OK, so I'm a cultural dummy here, but please....

You've explained what "spaetzle" (not a word I'd heard before) is, but now someone needs to define "kielbasa" for me, and for the love of god what on earth is "Beer Cheese"????
Kielbasa is a type of polish sausage. Beer cheese is a cheese sauce that is usually made with a sharp cheddar and some sort of beer. I like it made with a slightly darker, but not too heavy beer and a very sharp cheddar. It's really good with pretzels, kielbasa, bratwurst, or pretty much anything you like (within reason of course, lol)

Old 12-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Thank you! Now I can really imagine the dish - sounds like good cold weather comfort food.

I have NEVER heard of making a cheese sauce with beer - I am obviously severely deprived....

Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I have NEVER heard of making a cheese sauce with beer - I am obviously severely deprived....
I have. I'm more of a fondue person (cheese sauce with wine).

Dang it now I'm hungry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!