do yall ever hold yall venomous snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
lilkeezy
do yall ever hold yall venomous snakes?

question do yall whoever holds one

Old 09-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
hhmoore
depends on what you mean by hold....

Old 09-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
SwSerpentarium
I use tools to handle all venomous unless we absolutely need to restrain the snake by hand for another reason (stuck shed, medicate, lab work) I dont know of any GOOD reason to handle them by hand. Putting yourself at risk to impress someone else is certainly one of the things that has given some hot herpers a bad name. Gee wasn't there just a guy in Oregon that got bit by his rattlesnake that he stuck in his mouth to impress his chick..lol I guess adding alcohol to the mix isn't wise either !!

James Bear

Old 09-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Kingetula
There are people who do, and there are people who get bit because they do.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
norcal
I do take mine out. Do not think it would be wise to show pics of me doing so. I am sure I would be flamed, but mainly because I do not want to encourage others to do so. I have over 20 years experience & only bitten once. It was along time ago & I had been drinking. I do not drink anymore(almost 10 years). I had to force feed a baby rattler this morning. It was one that I could not get to eat since it was born in July. Usually after I get them to taste the rodent a couple of times, they will take them on their own after that. I do not "hold" them to prove anything or to show off. I admitingly take some chances & do not advise anyone to do some things I do.
Jerry
<><

Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
ccole74
Ever so briefly I was able to touch the tail of a King Cobra in an EXTREAMLY controled setting (tubed) and that was fine with me but I dont see my self free handling any hots any time ever.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
GQMedic
I do NOT free handle my hots. I made a decision to NOT get bit some 20 years ago. Factor in injury to yourself, the likelihood that animal control will most likely destroy the snake, as in most states, hospitals are required to report such bites to animal control, in many states as well, animal control will destroy the snake as a matter of routine or policy or both. The fuel given to state's legislators that more often than not, belive that the general public can not be trusted with or protected from venomous snakes will only further their cause in legislation that will more than likely prove an outright ban in the future.

Now, where I live, keeping native hots is fairly popular, and, I am aware of TWO persons that free handle their hots, and I have mentioned that you MAY get away with it 99 times out of a hundred, and then, GOTCHA! And, over the summer, one WAS bitten and got to visit Dr. Sean Bush at Loma Linda University Medical Center for some very costly treatment and pain in abundance, not to mention the threat to his life the bite provided. Worth it?

Scott Crawford, AKA Kingetula explained things quite wonderfully describing hot keeping akin to fish keeping. Fish keepers don't go about hoisting their fish out of the aquarium to pet, they are viewed, fed and enjoyed within the confines of their respective enclosures. The same is true of hot snake keeping.

When Hot snakes MUST be moved about, as responsible keepers, we employ tools, for our safety and that of the animals we keep.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
norcal
today I was getting pics of some of the rattlers & it reminded me of this post. Anyhow, while I was taking the pics, I turn around for a second & it was like the snake knew it was her chance to go! I took a pic before telling her to get back in her tub Anyhow, that is why you must keep full attention on the snakes @ ALL times

The escape taking off around the mojave rattlesnake enclosure

the pic "in the tub" C. organus

Mojave "green" pic...I think the Nor pac is greener though

Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Kingetula
Jerry,

Nice looking snakes

Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
GQMedic
OOPS!

Jerry, excellent object lesson depicting that even when all seems to be going right, maintained situational awareness helps in preventing a hot keeper fom experiencing "YIKES ENCOUNTERS". Thanks for sharing that pic, it might just help save someone from complacency nips. And, it isn't hard to become complacent when visiting the hots and all has gone without incident 100 times, yet, there are those moments when the little nippers surprise you with sudden escapes whilst working about. Alas, happy ending though!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!