Coulbrid fat Deposits - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Sweeney's Serpents
Coulbrid fat Deposits

Hi ,

I was at a friends house last night and he was showing me his snakes. He only has a few colubrids but I noticed something unusual about 2 of the females. They both have what appears to be excess fat deposits located on the back third of their bodies. The deposits are on the outside of their ribs and give the snakes an obvious mis-shapen appearance. He only feeds them once or twice a week. Species are corn and nelsons milksnake. They appear healthy outside of the fat deposits. I was wondering if it is genetic just like some of us who are predeposed to expanding outward in all directions. Any thoughts would be appreciated..........

Thanx

Scott Sweeney
Sweeney's Serpents

Old 07-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Sweeney's Serpents
I actually tried to proof read before I submitted but I ignored the title.

Colubrid
Colubrid
Colubrid

Maybe my 2 fingers will remember in what order to press the keys...........

Thanx Scott

Old 07-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Pictures might be better to help

But im of the opinion that anything more than 1 apropriate prey item a week feeding regimen can get a little excessive and actually cause more harm than good. Ive seen images of a few critters that were necropsied, different types of metabolisms ( a cobra and a python are two i remember best) and even on the cobra the fat deposits were said to be excessive and it was fed on a very concervative feeding regimen.

I feed every other week, sometimes a few days longer, or maybe shorter * its never 100% regular, as my schedule just wont allow for it* And my animals dont suffer for it at all.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
John E Dove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
But im of the opinion that anything more than 1 apropriate prey item a week feeding regimen can get a little excessive and actually cause more harm than good.
I feed my adult breeder females once a week and my males & adults I am not breeding every 10 days.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!