thoughts on re-homing a gravid female - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Jerry_c_62
thoughts on re-homing a gravid female

I find myself in an unfortunate situation. My gravid female is due to lay sometime in the next couple weeks. However, I may have to go to a funeral that will not allow me to be at home when she lays her eggs. I could make some changes to her home that would allow her to lay in her current habitat. But it would be easier to set up a new bin that she could stay in and be alright for a couple days even if I am not there to intervene. The concern I have is this.

She is now in a viewing cage that has aspen as the substrait. If she tries to nest there and pushes the bedding out of the way she may get to the bottom of the cage and lay directly on top of the UTH. Since it is set to heat through the aspen I think that spot would be to hot and may kill the eggs. I have an empty slot in a rack system that I could set up with a nesting box and paper substrait that would not have that issue.

Any opinions on moving a gravid female that close to laying into a new cage? If so, would it be better to move her now, or wait till I have to in the hope that these two situations will not overlap. I have someone to check on them to give water and such but I would like to avoid trusting in them to deal with an untimely clutch

Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
vmreptiles
You shouldn't have any problem moving her, maybe move some of her bedding with her so it still smells a little like her, but you're only moving her within your own home. Not a problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!