Bock...Bock.... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
Southern Wolf
Tractor Supply Company

Old 04-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #22
laterob
Wife got home

Okay, here ya go:

The two bright yellow ones are golden sexlinks, or 'golden comets'. They are girls for sure (different sexes come out different). They lay light brown eggs.

The lighter brown ones are Americaunas ('Easter Eggers'). They may lay whitish/ greenish/ or brownish eggs.

The darkest birds are Buff Orpingtons. They also lay light brown eggs.

Dennis, how'd she do?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
laterob
Tornado on the ground

You anywhere near Vilonia? Not to hijack....

Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #24
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterob View Post
Okay, here ya go:

The two bright yellow ones are golden sexlinks, or 'golden comets'. They are girls for sure (different sexes come out different). They lay light brown eggs.

The lighter brown ones are Americaunas ('Easter Eggers'). They may lay whitish/ greenish/ or brownish eggs.

The darkest birds are Buff Orpingtons. They also lay light brown eggs.

Dennis, how'd she do?

Those look like sexlinks but I wouldn't have guessed B.O. on the dark ones. I have some that are a few years old now but if I remember correctly they were very yellow chicks. Not positive but that is what I recall.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
laterob
Oops...I switched the Amaricaunas and the B.O.'s. 'Course, you could always just look at your receipt..... TSC rocks, btw. My wife's favorite store nowadays.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
You hear that?
It's every predator in the county salivating about the chicken dinners to be had at your place!!

It's amazing how many ways chicks find to die when someone first starts with them~ so don't get discouraged if you lose some of these....it's almost surely going to happen, and if it doesn't well then COOL for you!!

I love the chickens. I lost a lot of them when I first started, everything including my own dogs ate chicken! But eventually I got the dogs trained and now I have more chickens than I know what to do with~ at a guess I'd say I have at least 50 to 60 hens at any one time. I only keep three roosters, the rest I process and we eat. I sell eggs at $3.50 and 18 pack, and I incubate and hatch the eggs to sell to the feed store as straight run chicks. If the ones you got from TSC are purebreds they may very well be the breeds Robs wife suggests~ if your TSC is buying from a local breeder (some of them do, it's up to the managers) then those chicks could be just about any breed. I get a lot that look just like that and I've got a LOT of breeds out there all intermixing!

Definitely build a coop or a tractor. That Tractor Rob built is a nice little one~ you'd pay a pretty penny to buy one of those so if your at all handy and he's offering you the plans build that one. Nice little Tractor!

Congrats!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #27
Southern Wolf
Went back to TSC today so I could upgrade their housing from a 55 gal tank to a med sized stock tank. Checked out the labels on the birds.

The black ones are labeled as Golden Laced Wyandotte. The other two were just labeled as Pullets and then on the sign had 6 or 7 possible breeds that they could be. I prolly should have wrote all of them down... but I didn't.

We had a horrible storm blow thru last night (and another one blowing thru now) so I didn't get my ideas down on paper for the coop. Maybe I can get that ironed out tonight.

I've been messing with them just a bit and holding them when I move them over to their new enclosures.... Im hoping it will make tamer birds.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #28
SamanthaJane13
Cute little cluckers, Kevin!!

Congrats!!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #29
Southern Wolf
So I went yesterday to price some materials at MRS and Lowes. While at lowes I lost my fool mind and decided to take the easy way out. I bought one of the wood storage building kits.... actually I bought two because the one wasn't big enough to do what I wanted to do.

I get it home last night at dark and then this morning I get up and start to unload it.... I keep going down layer after layer and finally get to the bottom. I have all this precut lumber laying out on the ground... and no damn directions on how to assemble it.

If you are considering buying a wooden storage building from Lowes.... AVOID THE ONES MADE BY HEARTLAND (Backyard storage solutions, LLC).

I finally track these folks down online and they have a phone number on their site. The lady has me go out and get the stamps off the end of a few pieces and then says she can email me the instructions on how to put it together.

Turns out to be a 62 page booklet.... but for $998 they should have been included in the damn kit. My printer is still printing it off.... hope like hell I dont run out of ink.

In the end... .my chicken coop will be a 10'w x 20'l x 10't and about 10x15 of it will be for the birds. Im going to build a wire divider and the first 5 foot after you walk thru the doors will be for the humans... for feed and hay storage.

and the saga continues.... but it will have to wait till I get back from watching Fast Five... off I go.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #30
Southern Wolf
Ugggg the weather is not cooperating on my days off. I have almost got the coop finished, but the weather wont let up long enough for me to get it done. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I do have enough completed to get the birds outside though. They are probably loving the room.

I wont show the outside until I get it done... but here is some updated bird photos. They are growing fast.

All eight of my birds

**I know he came thru here somehow**

OK... I'm ready for my close up. Be sure to get my best side.

Cant ya see I'm resting here?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!