Bock...Bock.... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #31
SamanthaJane13
Kevin...Step away from the chickens...NOW.

You CANNOT abuse the domesticated barnyard fowl.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #32
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Good looking birds!
Now that they are bigger I'm guessing Gold laced wyondottes, red star and white leghorn. Can you get a closer pic of the neck and saddle feathers on the white one with the big comb? I'm thinking you may have a rooster there, he might be old enough to ID by pointy feathers on the neck and saddle.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #33
Southern Wolf
Gold laced wyondottes is correct on the darker ones. That breed was labeled. I dont know what my sex ratio is though... they were straight run.

The white one with the big comb is SUPPOSED to be a hen.... it was bought as a pullet.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #34
Southern Wolf
Cheryl I think you might be right. I went out this morning around 6:45am to feed the chickens and that one was making a god aweful noise. I'm not gonna say it was crowing.... but it was definitely trying to project it's voice... but it sounded like it was horse with a frog in its throat.

I've read that young rooster will TRY to crow before the actually learn how. I wonder if that is what I heard?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #35
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
probably. They sound pretty pitiful with their cracking little boy rooster voices! He'll develop pointy feathers on his neck and saddle if he is, the hens will have rounded feathers there. When they develop you'll be able to see the difference pretty easily.

I've got an adolescent peacock trying to learn to make the WoooWoo sound...took us a few days to figure out it was him, it honest to goodness sounds like someone one drowning a cat MmmeeOOOwwwww! LOL!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #36
Southern Wolf
If I have time tomarrow before work (meaning if I can get up on time) I will try to shoot some video.

It was sold as a pullet... how often are they incorrectly sexed?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #37
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
pretty often, they are very hard to sex unless they are a "Sex link" which causes different colored markings. On birds that the pullets and cockerals are the same color they have to sort of "pop" them only it seems to me much harder than snakes are and what they are seeing is MUCH smaller~ I've tried it with chicks, turkeys and geese....I can't do it~ everything in there looks the same to me and what it usually looks like is a little bird pooping upside down~ and I can pop snakes even little ones no trouble!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #38
Southern Wolf
wonderfull. So far out of the bigger birds that is the only one that seems to be missexed.

Maybe all the straight run's will turn out to be hens.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #39
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
the bigger one already showing a little crest is a male, correct?

Oooo!! what do I win??

(just teasing, I'm actually sorry to hear you got a missexed chick)

Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #40
Southern Wolf
Ummmm I could toss an egg at ya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!