Garden theft/sharing - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
~Just Curious~
Angry

We have strawberries thriving in our front yard, they just took over the flowers in a plot underneath the windows on the front of our house. I also have a big orange tree in the uppermost corner of the front, it's almost on my side yard, nowhere near the sidewalk. They're not always getting eaten so a lot of what I pick goes to neighbors. My neighbors never come over and pick them themselves, but I've told the mailman to take what he wants when he wants because he has to go up to our front door anyways.

It always astounds me when people "steal" them just because it means they have to go across my lawn and way up to the front of the house right in front of our windows to do it. All the while, they can see that there's cars in the driveway and my dog will be barking up a storm. Sometimes the door will even be open.
Criminial masterminds they ain't. These people, there's been about three, are always adults. I've never recognized them as people living in the immediate area.

Each time I'd always go to quiet the dog and I'd ask them if I could help them with anything since I usually assumed they're door-to-door advertisers with some cause that had a reason to come all the way up here. They'd just say "Oh no, I'm just taking some fruit." or "It's okay, I'm just picking some strawberries here." Yes, I can see that. :eek3: No shame at all. I honestly believe that they didn't see a problem with what they were doing. One person tried flattery saying that I grew them so delicious-looking they just couldn't help themselves. They'd also tell me what they were planning to use the fruit for and two out of the three brought up feeding their kids. Hmmmm...

Each time I always told them I would have given them some if they'd asked and I told them to knock first in the future. I also told them they were very easy to grow so they should try their own. I never really got mad because I was too busy wondering why they'd go to such effort just for a few pieces of fruit. I figured it was more important to them than to me.
I'm not too protective over my front yard "garden" since those just kinda of happened. We don't really take care of them, but they thrive anyways. Also even though it should be implied, there isn't any kind of fence stopping them. When questioned, one flat out told me that it was out in the open for anyone to take so they didn't see any harm in it. I guess some people just think that means it's open to the public or something...? Don't you just love it when thieves blame the victim for not protecting their stuff enough? Minor case, but still.

I would have been real angry if someone had hopped the fence into my backyard to steal something. Completely different degrees of thievery/trespassing to me. As far as I'm aware though, that's never happened.

I have a lot of neighbors with giant avocado trees in the front. They have it worse than me, because they're right up against the sidewalk and people walking by just have to dart over. My neighbors say they take so much that the only ones left for them are the ones way up on the top.
Yeesh....

Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
David Scarboro
I have 3 gardens and grow ALL kinds of stuff. It has been a difficult year, but I still have had plenty. I usually give away more than I eat, but would really hate to catch someone stealing from me. I mean I am shooting rabbits this week, and I LIKE the rabbits. On another note I recently acquired a 1000fps Ruger Airhawk .177 cal Airgun. I sighted it in at 80 feet and am consistently shooting 3" groups. The rabbits are in trouble.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Wolfy-hound
Theiving rabbits = free food! I don't even see rabbits in my yard dang it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!