bakeing soda in a terrirum - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
stupidclauton
bakeing soda in a terrirum

i was think if they put backin soda in some cat litter to help him the smell, can i put some in my terrirum? its for a ball python and i want to know if it could hurt it any

Old 03-21-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
SableLynx
I wouldn't

I have never heard of it being done. I would be worried about the chance of inhalation or ingestion. It just does not seem like a good idea to me as smaller mammals and reptiles are much more susceptible to respiratory problems than cats and dogs are.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
stupidclauton
well you could put a thin layer under the substrait or you could mix some in with the substrate. also waht are some of the effects on bakeing soda if ingested?

Old 03-21-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
cthulhu77
Well, ingested would be great if the snake had an upset stomach...but...why does the cage smell so bad? Typically, changing out the substrate is the easiest way to keep the cage smelling just fine...avoid the use of aromatics or things like baking soda.
greg

Old 03-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
stupidclauton
i was just throwin out an idea incase some1 hade a cage that smelled bad

Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
SableLynx
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu77
Well, ingested would be great if the snake had an upset stomach... greg

Actually if you just clean it, like Greg said, it wont smell bad. I don't have a snake but if my gecko cages smell just a little bit, I clean them. Wa-La No more smell... Just like magic.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
MGReptiles
I actually use it in my mouse racks and it works great.. I wouldnet put it in a snake cage though...

Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 AM   #8
EclipseExotics
I've read that they have charcoal pads that were developed for under-substrate uses in a terrarium. They're similar to Odor Eaters (the things for your shoes) i believe. If I can find the link, I'll post it up for ya. It's at least an idea.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!