Adenovirus Document from University of Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
Motor City Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613
IF there is no guideline then nothing will ever get started. It definitely isn't going to get fixed overnight. All of the arguing isn't going to fix it either. So what if every question isn't answered yet, but I am quite sure that they will be soon.
But who makes the guideline? No one doing research is going to commit to drawing lines. Apparently, they're not even willing to count. (BTW - if someone knows how to calculate a percentage without knowing the total, please clue me in on this "new math".) The most you're going to get is "only breed negative animals", but so far they can't honestly tell you what a live negative animal is. Breeders could make guidelines, but just reading these threads will tell you that there's not going to be any broad agreement coming from that source.

It's not really a matter of "nothing will ever get started" - plenty has been started. It's just all going in different directions, and leading nowhere, so far.

And you're right, it definitely won't be fixed overnight. At this point, I wouldn't bet on it ever being "fixed". Or that it's even possible.

Quote:
Yes, according to the UF document, some dragons exhibit no symptoms while others do & simply die. Why are some dragons' immune systems better than others? Survival of the Fittest I guess, but, we are not helping the species along with our haphazard acts. I wish I knew the answers to why some dragons' genetics were better than others, but I don't. The same thing goes for people, why do some people who smoke get lung cancer while some smoke their whole life & never get lung cancer? It makes no sense. The best thing I can come up with is genetics & predetermined vulnerability to disease due to weakened immune systems. We need to give the dragons the best chance for survival.
Disclaimer: "This isn't necessarily my point of view, just presenting a valid argument here."

If the number and distribution of AV negative dragons is such that it's not going to be possible to selectively breed it out of the population, you've just made the best argument for breeding positive animals. Eventually you would be left with only animals that whose "genetics were better than others", wouldn't you? Wouldn't the end result be beardies that don't have a "predetermined vulnerability to disease"?

Again, the whole argument hinges on believing that it's not going to be possible to knock AV down to the point where the numbers we've been seeing are reversed. I guess only time will tell.

Quote:
All most of us are asking is to please be responsible breeders. Just do the testing. I am quite aware how expensive it is, but, if no one does it because they think why bother everyone has it anyway, everyone definitely WILL have it.
Great idea, but it's not going to happen. Not as long as the majority of beardies sold are not financially worth the price of the test. Like it or not, dollars are going to drive what happens with this, and there's not much you or I can do about it.