IBD disease / My ball and my boas - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #91
shrap
The blood tests are not conclusive from what my vet told me. Your boid can still have it and it not show up in the blood test. I do believe she said a liver biopsy is the only way to know for certain.

Can anyone else verify that information?

Old 10-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #92
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
The blood tests are not conclusive from what my vet told me. Your boid can still have it and it not show up in the blood test. I do believe she said a liver biopsy is the only way to know for certain.

The liver biopsy is the only way I have heard of IBD being detected in a live animal.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #93
99Vengeur
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap

From the research I have read and my background in microbiology and immunology, I would say that is correct. The blood test is not 100% guaranteed to be conclusive. The inclusion bodies form in nearly all the organs of the body, so the blood test is just looking for cells that have become separated from the infected tissues. The liver is the most affected organ in the body, so liver biopsies are a much better indicator of IBD.

Any vet that has a microscope could do the blood test. It would involve getting a blood sample then isolating cells. The cells would then be smeared on a slide to ideally form a monolayer of cells. Then the entire slide would be examined for masses within the cells.

The problem with the blood test is that there is a chance that no infected cells may be located from the blood sample, the inclusions may not be large enough to see with a standard light microscope (necessitating an electron microscope, which most vets won't have), or the inclusions could be confused with other cellular organelles normally found within the cells.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #94
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcnj

DENNIS HULTMAN..ME EUTHENIZING MY BOAS IS NOT THE ANSWER, BECAUSE I AM ONLY 1 PERSON, AND YES I HAVE TO WHAT IS RIGHT AND I WILL BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE THAT SAY MY SNAKES ARE FINE.

I would suggest asking the breeders, accomplished reptile authors, and other forum members that put down their snakes. Hundreds of animals, whole collections that were wiped out that were build over years not months to help control this plague on the hobby.

I'm sure they would have given anything to have been able to spare their animals as well. Weighing the possibilities they came to only one unselfish heart-wrenching conclusion. I’m grateful to them for the sacrifice.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #95
crotalusadamanteus
Mike, I don't know who you talked to, but they are seriously downplaying the nature if this disease. You want facts? Here's a few. Taken from Reptile Medicine and Surgery, second edition, 2006. Dr, Douglas Mader, MS, DVM, DABVP Diplomat, American Board of Veterinary Medicine, (with other contributing vets of course)....

Sorry, but My scanner does not work, so I had to do pictures. Hope you can read them, they seemed clear enough for me.

{Had to remove pictures}

Go ahead and believe what some "large breeder" told you. You realize most are in it for the money don't you? Of course they will see it as not profitable to test them all. It would cut into their over all money making plans. God forbid something like that should happen. HA HA One of those "large breeders" went home from Daytona (year before last I think it was) PISSED OFF because he only made a hundred grand the weekend of the show. What does that tell you?

The people who are working so hard to study, understand, and find a cure for this disease are in it for the health of the animals. Dedicated PROFESSIONALS, that have ACTUAL medical training and EDUCATION.

Now here's what I would REALLY like to know. WHO told you these things you mention above? I would like a name or names, so I can put them on my LONG do not do business with, list. These people don't seem like the brightest crayons in the box. They certainly ain't the sharpest tools in the shed, seem to be a few cards short of a full deck, etc. etc. etc. (I am politely calling them FOOLS BTW)

Here's a couple links you should pass on to your Vet too, so they can have updated reference on hand. Judging by your post's, I'd say they need some refresher courses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ustomerReviews
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/084...490_pe_snp_215
http://www.amazon.com/Avian-Exotic-A...687200-3975612

I'm done.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #96
99Vengeur
I don't mean to cause a fuss here.....but posting pictures of a book is a violation of copyright laws....not that I'm going to turn anybody in to the authorities, but just a caveat for people wanting to make a point....

Old 10-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #97
SPJ
I have a feeling that Mike is long gone and will not be replying to this thread anymore.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #98
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Vengeur
I don't mean to cause a fuss here.....but posting pictures of a book is a violation of copyright laws....not that I'm going to turn anybody in to the authorities, but just a caveat for people wanting to make a point....
OOPS! Flew right by me in my current state of mind.

Sorry people, but I don't need that. I guess i could take a week and type it out. LOL

Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #99
99Vengeur
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
I have a feeling that Mike is long gone and will not be replying to this thread anymore.
You are correct. He stated in his last post that he would no longer read or reply to the thread. Me thinks he tucked tail and ran.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #100
kmurphy
Quote:
You are correct. He stated in his last post that he would no longer read or reply to the thread. Me thinks he tucked tail and ran.

I believe he's posted since the post your writing about. In his last post it looked like he was asking more questions due to his bp being negative.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!