What kind of Boa is this? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
Tiki108
That makes a lot of sense actually now that I think about it. He seems to breathe funny, I'll make the appointment tomorrow and get him in ASAP. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
Tiki108
Ok, thank you so much for the advice. This was not the first time I've seen him do that, he did it before I put him in the tub. I'm going to get him to the vet, I feel really bad for this guy, he came to me this way and I'm kind of glad I got him though cause I'll take really good care of him, he'll be at the vet the earliest appointment they have open. I don't think the guy I got him from took really good care of him.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
spoonersgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
I don't see anything screaming mouth rot in those pics. But that rub looks very serious. If his nostrils are blocked internally, either from stuck shed, dried mucous or inflamed and swollen inside due to the irritation from the rub, then it could be breathing the only other way it can.

Did it aspirate any water from the tub? Or is this not the first time you've seen it?

Looks like it has an over bite too, or the upper jaw is just swollen and protruding due to the rub. Was it me, and I used to rehab reptiles, I'd see a vet about the rub. That's a pretty serious rub. Some anti-biotics might help a bunch.

And IMHO, judging by tail color, pattern, and the shadowing on the dorsals, that snake is likely a Hog Island cross.

Good points~ didn't think about nostrils possibly being blocked,or swollen, etc...

I was thinking he looked like a Hog cross as well.

Other than the mouth situation, the snake looks nice

Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
Tiki108
Thanks, I didn't think about that either, I was thinking Hog Island at first, the guy I got him from told me he just had a corn island boa he wanted to get rid of.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Come back and let us know what they give you, and how they instruct you to give it, so we can make sure you're fully informed.

Not trying to sound like I know more then a vet, but too many times a vet claims to be a reptile vet because they've doctored a turtle or two in their career. As a result, a lot of people aren't fully informed on administration of some meds. Snakes in general, much is still being learned.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Tiki108
I really appreciate all the advice, I truly do, I just want to make sure he is happy and healthy. There's a couple vets in my area that say they treat reptiles, but I'm going to ask them about their experience with boas specifically. This is actually my first boa, I have corns, BPs, and carpet pythons, but so far no one has ever been sick or needed a vet visit, but I knew there was a vet near me that we took my leopard geckos to when I was a kid.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
Metachrosis
From the looks and condition of that animal,"that guy" needs to get rid of
everything in his care

Your boa looks bad sick in these updated pics and its sad to see them in
distress from neglect.
It needs Vet care ASAP,even if its not the best.
It takes meds to turn animals from this condition

Ive rescued a few hog's and still maintain a group here,when all is not right in their world they go into that ugly phase.With mine being healthy I usually
catch them like this for a day or so just as they start their shed cycle.
Its a sign of distress or stress

It will take a good while to correct this,please dont waste a day
towards correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki108 View Post
Thanks, I didn't think about that either, I was thinking Hog Island at first, the guy I got him from told me he just had a corn island boa he wanted to get rid of.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
Tiki108
Yeah I agree, I'm calling the vet today to schedule the appointment, I only want what's best for this poor guy. He told me he wasn't friendly, but I haven't had any problems with him. He also told me the guy he got him from fed him f/t, but he fed live. I try to only feed f/t since I think it's safer. Although a few of my BPs really prefer live, but they were sold to me like that and I've been trying my best to switch them to f/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
From the looks and condition of that animal,"that guy" needs to get rid of
everything in his care

Your boa looks bad sick in these updated pics and its sad to see them in
distress from neglect.
It needs Vet care ASAP,even if its not the best.
It takes meds to turn animals from this condition

Ive rescued a few hog's and still maintain a group here,when all is not right in their world they go into that ugly phase.With mine being healthy I usually
catch them like this for a day or so just as they start their shed cycle.
Its a sign of distress or stress

It will take a good while to correct this,please dont waste a day
towards correction.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Tiki108
I can't remember his name, found him on craigslist

Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #20
Metachrosis
just blow him off and blaze a new trail from here,its likely for the better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!