green iggy tank - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
loux99x
Warning! green iggy tank

I got a few questions about the tank I put him in, mainly lighting concerns. He's got a 160w power sun uvb lamp which I also use as a his basking light. As you see in the pics its a foot away from his hammock and it still gives off a ton of heat straight down. On his cool side is an exoterra 150w red lamp. That gives off a lot of heat too but I got a reptifogger that goes 24/7 and a waterfall/small pond which helps keep the temp below 85. On his warm side its usually between 91 and 94. Is the uvb a decent basking light as long as it gives off a good amount of heat? If you see anything that can be improved let me know! I'm figuring he'll stay in this tank for another 9 or 10 months and then ill make him his permanent home.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
Overall, its fine. If it were me, I may lower the UV Powersun a tad to raise the basking temps a little, using my thermometer to check.

I also may either raise the infrared bulb some or simply downgrade to a 100watt. I don't think the 160 watt is necessary. IN fact, as long as your home doesn't get below 70'F, I may just remove it altogether.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
loux99x
I was thinking the same about downgrading the infrared bulb but it does a decent job at keeping the bedding/glass dry from water droplets. As far as getting rid of the 160w uvb bulb lamp altogether, thats a bad idea. With out uvb iguanas cant process d3 and wont produce calcium.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by loux99x View Post
I was thinking the same about downgrading the infrared bulb but it does a decent job at keeping the bedding/glass dry from water droplets. As far as getting rid of the 160w uvb bulb lamp altogether, thats a bad idea. With out uvb iguanas cant process d3 and wont produce calcium.
I'm sorry, I meaning remove the 150 watt red bulb, not the UVB bulb. Sorry for the confusion! I suppose I misread and thought both bulbs were 160 watt.

Yeah, I know full and well they got to have that UV lighting!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
suzuki4life
Looks like tons of wasted electricity.

I'd switch to a tube style uvb bulb which will spread uvb across the cage evenly.

I personally would like to see the cool end at 75+

I recommend a full length tube style uvb bulb plus a single flood lamp which would produce the basking temp. You need a pyrometer to accurately check basking temp. Covering half the top top keep in humidity will also help the iggy grow. if there isn't condensation on the sides of the tank, your humidity is low.

Tube uvb+ flood lamp+ half covered top+ fogger= good temps and humidity at half the power usage.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
loux99x
luckily my electric is included with my rent! lol. but yea, cool end i brought down to 80, from what I read, the temps for baby iguanas should be a little higher than for adults. 75 good enough for cool side even if its a baby? The uvb bulb is big enough that it lights up the whole tank and its more UVB intensive than a tube style bulb. As far as the humidity goes, in the pics the humidity monitor is around 75, its usually around 95-100 on the cool side and 90+ on the warm side. And i did start putting a wet rag on the tank over the kool side. It helped with the humidity a ton! kept it inside the tank.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
suzuki4life
If its a MVB then you should be getting decent uv(b) about 12" from the lamp and it decreases drastically after that. The benefits of MVB over UVB bulbs mainly are distance of initial penetration and lifespan. MvB bulbs normally get 12" of penetration and last about a year. UVB bulbs normally get 6" pentration and last about 6 months.

I would personally be happy with the 80 degree cool end.

Humidity at 75% isn't bad. I'd rather have a flowing humidity rather and a stagnant one anyway.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
loux99x
by mvb your talking about mercury vapor bulb? Cause thats what Ive got for him in 160w by powersun.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
iguana, iguana cage, iguana habitat