My Blood Boa is broken - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #51
crotalusadamanteus
Just got the call that the pediatric kit is in, so I'm off to see the vet again. Don't really care for the idea that he's only had a couple days to digest, but it wasn't a large meal, so hopefully he'll keep it down.

Results are in for Rosy as well. 2 colonies of Acinetobacter sp were cultured, and they are sensitive to several kinds of anti-biotic treatments. So hopefully we'll get a handle on that before too long.

Ciao

Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #52
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
2 colonies of Acinetobacter sp were cultured, and they are sensitive to several kinds of anti-biotic treatments. So hopefully we'll get a handle on that before too long.

Ciao
How long a course of antibiotics do you normally give or is this a one off injection?

Best of luck with the tests on the blood, fingers crossed over here that they find something just so you can take some kind of action.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #53
Snakesitter
Glad to hear the culture was successful, and gave you some answers!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #54
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
How long a course of antibiotics do you normally give or is this a one off injection?

Best of luck with the tests on the blood, fingers crossed over here that they find something just so you can take some kind of action.
I'll be giving Rosy a Fortaz injection every 72 hours x6 doses, assisted hydration during, and we'll go from there.

As for Guku's blood, well, he's a little guy, so you can only take so much. But we got enough for the blood cultures and CBC. Didn't want to mess with him beyond that because of the full belly and he also decided to go into shed yesterday, and I don't mess with them during ecdysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Glad to hear the culture was successful, and gave you some answers!
Yep, it's always nice to get a positive answer instead of a maybe/could be. Lets just hope we get the same quick and easy results with Guku.

I think I'm going to go ahead and call a few larger breeders, just to see if by chance one of them has experienced anything like it. I've talked with my vet, the Zoo vet, and 2 other vets as well. So far all I got was, Hmmmm, and, interesting. Everyone seems to be scratching their head over it. I think I'll email Dr. Mader as well.

Thanks for listening!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #55
Helenthereef
I know it's no consolation re Guku, but I'm very glad you have posted this - I for one, and probably many others, learn a lot from reading threads of experiences like this.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #56
crotalusadamanteus
That's actually the ONLY reason I share it.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #57
Snakesitter
Your sharing is much appreciated. I hope it all works out well for both snakes...and your freetime!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #58
crotalusadamanteus
Initial Blood tests are back. CBC (blood chemistry) all numbers are in the normal range, and eerily right in the middle of that normal range, no highs or lows. So all internal organs are working properly and good hydration.

Blood cultures have managed to successfully culture, absolutely nothing. Not a single colony of anything that shouldn't be there. So, we'll get more blood when we can get him down there again, and have it sent to ZooPath. Unsure as of yet what specifically we'll be testing for, but I'm sure my vet will fill me in when I go down there.

On a positive note though, Rosy is a champ, and her swollen nose is quickly returning to normal, and she dropped me a perfect shed last night.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #59
Durante
has there been any physical change you can see?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #60
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durante View Post
has there been any physical change you can see?
No physical change at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!