Legal to keep Northern Green Frog (Rana clamitans melanota)? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
WingedSweetheart
Legal to keep Northern Green Frog (Rana clamitans melanota)?

Is it legal to keep Northern Green Frogs in my state (WV)? I've been looking around on the net and can't seem to find any information. It would probably help if I knew where to look in the first place.

Anyway any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
rcarichter
I like this site for an overview:
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exot...ls_summary.php

Looks like you need a permit because it is a native species. This seems to be true in most states.

Noelle

Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
WingedSweetheart
I read that I can catch frogs (and kill them) with a fishing license but still haven't found anything about keeping them.

I didn't find anything on the site above about private ownership. Just stuff about making a profit on the animals in zoos and such.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
WingedSweetheart
http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/Regs12/regs_Summary.pdf

I guess since it says I can possess 20, them I'm allowed to keep Northern Green Frogs. I can't seem to find anywhere where is says that I have to "eat" the frogs that I collect.

Reason for the post is that I have a Northern Green frog. Raised frog a tadpole. Collected from my pond one summer. Never really thought about if it were legal or not as I've had them in school too. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Mike Gay
FROGS IN SEASON

The wife & I collect Michigan herps for our local "Frog Fest" in July each year. We work with the DNR and display what-ever we can find, then let them all go where we caught them. Some officers go strickly by the book, but if it's for "educational purposes", they'll play along. Back to your original ?, aside from possession #'s, most states have seasons, so technically you could be "in possession" of a animal out of season.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
FosterHerpetological
You have to have a permit to keep any of the species native to WV. Don't you keep corns as well? You are "supposed" to have a permit for those, too.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
WingedSweetheart
They sell corns in every pet shop I've been to in this state. No one has a permit for them. I would think that the law would come swooping down on all these pet shops if it were illegal to keep or sell them without a permit. Shouldn't it be the same for kings? I mean we have kingsnakes in our state too. But they are also sold in every pet shop. The argument of them being Cali kings or whatever doesn't fly. My corns were collected from around here. Even if I had a classic, that doesn't mean it came from this state.

So there needs to be clearer laws in that regard!

Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
WingedSweetheart
Weren't* collected from around here

Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedSweetheart View Post
They sell corns in every pet shop I've been to in this state. No one has a permit for them. I would think that the law would come swooping down on all these pet shops if it were illegal to keep or sell them without a permit. Shouldn't it be the same for kings? I mean we have kingsnakes in our state too. But they are also sold in every pet shop. The argument of them being Cali kings or whatever doesn't fly. My corns were collected from around here. Even if I had a classic, that doesn't mean it came from this state.

So there needs to be clearer laws in that regard!
Are you positive they don't have permits? Kings are included, any species native to WV, you need a permit for them.

Example, I ordered corns from BHB, I would still need a permit for those, because the species is native to WV.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
WingedSweetheart
I mean how would it be legal for pet shops to sell those snakes to people if you need a permit to own them?

I have five snakes. Four of them came from various pet shops around here (including the big chain stores). Only one came from a breeder in South Carolina.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!