HELP! WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Yeah except most pine shavings are kiln dried to remove the oils.
Kiln drying doesn't really "remove" anything. It's simply an accelerated process for drying it out. When the dried shavings are put back into a warm and humid environment, they can re-absorb water, which makes the oils viable again. I'd imagine that snake saliva would yield the same result.

Given that he was ostensibly fine up until the point where he had the pine in his mouth, I think that's just too much of a coincidence to ignore. Have you considered doing away with pine substrate altogether?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
Sierra0101
Dan,
Yes I am getting the female off the pine shavings and I'm going to put her on shredding newspaper or something. Aspen bothers me too much. If it gets even slightly wet, it stinks to holy hell and makes me sick. So unless someone can suggest another substrate that would work better, I'm going to use shredded newspaper.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
Fangthane
I was a big fan of cypress mulch. I used to get it in big bags at Lowes, and just pre-treat it as needed, with Provent-A-Mite, before using it. I can't really comment on how strong the smell is, though. Having spent a lot of time working in various wood-based jobs, I've become a bit desensitized to wood odors, I guess.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Sierra0101
Yeah cypress is an option.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Durante
you could use some indoor/outdoor or even better & cheaper maybe some newspaper or even contractor paper that they sell in rolls at home depot maybe...

Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
hhmoore
Skip the shredded paper - it's messy, not particularly absorbant, easily ingested, and generally more trouble than it's worth. Nothing wrong with using paper, just skip the step of shedding/tearing'

Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
skirtinthedirt
We use "painters paper" from Home Depot. It's a big cheap roll of untreated thickish brown paper that painters do....something with. For all of our guys not on shavings this works well.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
Sierra0101
Thank you for the opinions. As of right now, I got her off the shavings and on newspaper (not shredded).

Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
tommyhil4_6
Sierra, sorry for your loss. The newsprint is a great option, aspen, cypress etc. I have personally used aspen, newsprint and contractor paper. My favorite of them all was the aspen.

Being that the dampness makes you nauseated, that's obviously an issue. I just switched back to aspen and glad I did. Try the cypress and see how that'll work if you want some type of tangible substrate.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. It is a lesson that hopefully people can learn from without repeating. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
Sierra0101
Thank you for the options, I didn't think of cypress. I'll probably give that a shot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!