Tang Breeders giving me trouble-Any Advice is greatly appreciated - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Sunset Gecko
Exclamation Tang Breeders giving me trouble-Any Advice is greatly appreciated

My stud Tangerine named "Arson" has not been able to inpregnate any females to this point, and I'm starting to get very frustrated, as I'm getting plenty of eggs from my lower quality geckos, and nothing from my $2000+ group of tangerines. He has been introduced to each of the females for at least a week, and I've noticed "love bites" on a few of them, but they've never got pregnant. He was in with a female called "Plasma" for over a month, and instead of her getting gravid, she gained 20+ grams of fat! Arson last weighed in at 66 grams and the females range from low 50's in grams to 70+. I evened tried not feeding them for a night so they would(in theory) concentrate solely on breeding. Two out of the three females have had Arson introduced to them AND vice versa. I'm begining to think the male is at fault, since I do not think all 3 of the females would be able to aviod getting gravid. This is very frustrating and I'm beggining to reach my limit.......if I can't get eggs from these geckos soon, I'm just going to have to sell them off and I realize that geckos just aren't for me. As nice as they are, I bought this group as breeders, not pets, and I expect them to BREED! I thought selling the babies was supposed to be the hard part...... I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me. I would be willing to take pictures of the females bellies upon request.
Thanks in advance,
Eric

Old 03-13-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Jodi L Aherns
Give him more time.Some geckos are just slow at breeding.It is there first year breeding.I have a few groups that have not layed any thing yet,but they will.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I had that happen last year and come to find out I was not mating them at time they were ovulating so it was useless.

Check their bellies, you will see pink cicrles about the size of an eraser head or a tad smaller when they are ovulating.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Sunset Gecko
Lightbulb Answers

Yes, they are all first-year breeders. As for the ovulating, I left the male in with one of the females for over a month straight....so I don't think that's it, at least not with that female. Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
KelliH
Dargonfly is right. If your females are not developing egg follicles, they are not going to become gravid, even if the male does breed them.

I have 3 or 4 groups that have not started giving me eggs yet either. I know the male is breeding the females, I have caught them in the act a few times. The females are just now starting to develop eggs, and I have had them together since November.

Patience, young grasshopper!

Old 03-13-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
KelliH
Quote:
Yes, they are all first-year breeders. As for the ovulating, I left the male in with one of the females for over a month straight....so I don't think that's it, at least not with that female. Thanks for the advice!
Eric-

Just because you have had the male in with your female does not mean she has ovulated. Female leos normally begin developing follicles at a certain time each year. You can control this somewhat by manipulating temperatures, but still just putting male and female together does not mean you will get eggs a month later. You have to think of the biology of it. Now sometimes putting a male in with a female will stimulate egg production, so keep trying.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:00 PM   #7
Sunset Gecko
Thumbs up

Well I'm glad that others are experiencing the same thing with some of their geckos, I thought that everyone's geckos were breeding immediately based on all the "baby pic" threads. At least my 2nd year females ae doing great, I've gotten 3 clutches each from 3 of them. All my tangs are first years though. Thanks for the advice kelly and others

Old 03-13-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Sunset Gecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Eric-

Just because you have had the male in with your female does not mean she has ovulated. Female leos normally begin developing follicles at a certain time each year. You can control this somewhat by manipulating temperatures, but still just putting male and female together does not mean you will get eggs a month later. You have to think of the biology of it. Now sometimes putting a male in with a female will stimulate egg production, so keep trying.
Would you suggest a chill period now? I chilled my other breeders, but the first-year tangerines were still growing during the oct-dec chilling. Thanks for your time.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:49 AM   #9
aliceinwl
I don't think you need to chill your girls. Many of my first timers don't start ovulating until April. Just check them regularly, they'll ovulate when they're ready.

How old is your male? I went through something similar last year with my PA. In my case, I saw breeding but the eggs from the females were all duds. After multiple infertile clutches from multiple females, I figured my male was a dud, so I purchased another PA male. Of course, shortly after the arrival of my new male, my original male fathered a fertile clutch. I haven't had any fertility problems with him since. I think that I just started him before he was fully mature.

Leos are individuals. When it's said that leos are sexually mature at 10 months, it's a generalization, not a rule.

Good luck,
Alice

Old 03-14-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Sunset Gecko
Male

The male is currently 6 1/2 months old, but he has been 50+ garms for around two months now. From what other breeders have told me, breeding more depends on weight rather than age, but I guess they could be wrong.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!