Morph Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
connorrm
Morph Help

I am into ball pythons but I love to stop in and look at the boas. The thing I can't figure out is all the morph terminology. What is a salmon, is that the same thing as a hypo...I keep seeing these adds that interchange the two as hypo?? Also wouldn't an albino dh sunglow just be an albino het hypo? And Anery is the same thing as axanthic right just different terminology?? LOL! Maybe I am just s......l......o.....w.....also what is aberrant? Hmmm lets see what else is different that I can't figue out? Coral albinos?? Can someone explain those? LOL

Old 11-19-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
monitorman85
go to redtailboas.com they have a list with pics that might help ya out.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
paulh
There are pictures of salmon boas at Rich Ihle's web site, salmonboa.com. Most hypo boa constrictors for sale are salmons. The two terms are used interchangeably. However, some hypos might be orangetails, pastels, etc, which may or may not be non-Ihle salmons. Confusing, yes!

I think you are more likely to see "hypo dh sunglow" than "albino dh sunglow". A hypo dh sunglow would be a salmon boa constrictor with a salmon gene paired with the normal version of the salmon gene and an albino gene paired with the normal version of the albino gene. As salmon is a dominant mutant gene, an albino het hypo is a sunglow. On the other hand, an albino dh sunglow might be an albino whose owner didn't know that salmon is a dominant mutant gene.

As far as I know, anerythristic = axanthic in boa constrictors.

Aberrant in California king snakes refers to any abnormal pattern. My guess is that it's the same in boas.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #4
FreakOfNature66
Actually in regards to the Anerythristic = axanthic that isnt totally true it produces the same look. An anery is lacking in red pigment an axanthic is lacking in yellow.

_________
Jessica

Old 11-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
hhmoore
so much to explain...guess I won't be doing much sleeping on the trip to White Plains, lol

Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
I know this is a little old, but.............
The term aberrant just means (in short), other than normal, outside the expected, unusual. Here is an aberrant stripe.........

Also, I do not believe that Anery, and axanthic are even close to the same look, IMO. As of yet, I have not heard of any Boas being proven as Axanthic, which would be a "complete" lack of yellow pigment.

I would like to know where you saw an ad for an albino DH sunglow. This IMO is a misrepresentation, and technically would be expressing both Albinism, and Hypomelanism, or sunglow. As Paul pointed out, the the salmon is a dominant mutation, and either expresses itself in the phenotype, or it is not present. I have not heard of a boa het for salmon, that did not display the salmon trait.

Little is known about the Coral trait. It would appear to be a polygenic trait, (involving multiple genes), similar to the pastel trait, but not the same. Here is a quote from Peter Kahl in an email to me recently about this trait.........

"I have bred coral to coral and got all corals. I have bred a coral to
jungles het albino and got corals. I think it works like this. If you
bred a coral to any albino you will get corals out of the litter.
If you breed a coral albino to a normal most of the babies will be coral/pastel looking boas het albino. Are you getting the drift here........."

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!