Dan Scolaro bad guy. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Mckenzie_river_reptiles
Dan Scolaro bad guy.

This guy is a definate "bad guy" I hope you read this completly, I know it is long but it exposes the deciet of this man. He changes his mind numerous times and eventually tells me that I am harrasing him! When actually he sent me more e-mails than I sent him.
I bought 2.2 pink tongue skinks.

Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:

Sorry to tell you this, But the thin one died today....I had been pinkie pumping it, this was the second time. It was collapsing and I knew I needed to get some food energy in him. I was too late. I had pinkie pumped him two days ago but he regurgitated half of it. So he only ate half a pinkie the whole time I had him! Keep me updated and sorry that this didn't work out. Shit happens. I froze him, and will ship him on request. I think that the pet store guy must have left them in the deli cups you shipped them in, or something, because like I said they drank for two-three minutes each when I received them! All the other ones look fine and are eating like crazy! I am feeding them smaller snails and more of them, that seems to work well. Thanks,Luc Cauthorn

Danscolaro@aol.com wrote:
Luc, I will replace the thin one this summer when I get more if it does not make it. Dan

I found out that he lied to me on their age.

In a message dated 4/2/2008 1:51:11 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Hi Dan,

I was looking at some adds on kingsnake.com and came accross this

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=34&de=564420

I e-mailed the guy and he said that they are 6 months old...I thought why are mine so small. After all they are "06s"

Maybe you meant 06 like 6 months?

Thanks,

Luc Cauthorn

Dan Writes:
well I was told the ones I sent you were yearling born in fall of 2006. I had some others as show in my advertisement that were born fall of 2007 that were tiny 3-4 inchers and that is what you paid for but I sent you the larger ones that were supposed to be a year old. Dan

luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Actually I paid for 06's, and recieved 07's, that weren't healthy. I should send you pics of what they look like now that they are being fed.

When do you think you will get in another. She was a female.

Thanks,

Luc Cauthorn

Subject: Re: (no subject)
To: luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com
Date: Wednesday, April 2, 2008, 2:10 PM

Luc, I looked at my spreadsheet and its marked with retail sales prices for 07's and you were kindly shipped 06 specimens at a discount that were quite robust, thick tailed, feeding frequently, and all appearing quite very healthy. I do not know what happened to the other's that arrived thin but it left here healthy and fat like the rest of them. I could also ad that the pet shop they were mistakenly directed to did not report anything wrong with them so can only imagine they were unfortunately chilled, but that is a risk you take when your order reptiles in the middle of winter and live in a cold climate. Perhaps next time I would suggest to obtain specimens during warmer climate conditions to avoid any issues. I also do not appreciate any insulation that the animals were not healthy after I held them here for you for 4 months without a boarding charge. I examined each specimen before shipping and they are had thick tails, good digits, clean poops, were quite spunky, and don't know what happened to that sad one with the thin tail. I have already agreed to work an arrangement for another skink but keep in mind that those skinks were your skinks 4 months ago and they could have been shipped any time before then. Dan

In a message dated 4/3/2008 5:41:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Hi Dan,

"4 months ago and they could have been shipped any time before then."

what does that mean?

Are you taking back your word of sending me another one?

Thanks,

Luc Cauthorn

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 8:01 PM

Means you ordered the skinks 4 months ago and put down the deposit and I held them for 3 months and they could have been shipped any time if paid in full. Dan

In a message dated 4/3/2008 11:25:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Yeah, they were part mine and also part yours...Do you know when you can ship out the replacement?

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 9:26 PM

I think I informed that I will not get more until this summer perhaps. Dan

In a message dated 4/4/2008 12:00:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
OK. What would her age be?

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 10:32 PM

I am not sure until I get them but they would be 07 or 08 specimens. Dan

In a message dated 4/4/2008 12:48:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
I paid for 06's.

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 11:24 PM

I think you need to listen closely. I sent you 4 healthy skinks at a discount price. When there is any discount applied to any sale, then there are no guarantees. In addition, I held your animals at no cost and did not charge a boarding fee. Unfortunately something happened to one of your skinks during transit and I have agreed to disregard the no guarantee and replace the skink when I get another if you pay the shipping. That is the best I can offer in these circumstances. If you continue to bug me about stuff and pick at me for a bunch of stuff that only aggravates, then I am not sure I will allow any follow up with this situation. Dan

In a message dated 4/4/2008 11:04:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, luc_cauthorn@yahoo.com writes:
Dan,

You are not being honest. You shipped the skinks to a pet store instead of me, and their stuff went to me. They sat in that pet store for three days probably cold and without water or food. That was clear when I received them. "I sent you 4 healthy skinks at a discount price. When there is any discount applied to any sale, then there are no guarantees." I have never heard of this in my entire life, you should have stated that. "In addition, I held your animals at no cost and did not charge a boarding fee." I am doing/giving someone a payment plan on viper geckos, if I told them that I wanted a boarding fee they would think that I was crazy. I am also doing a payment plan on some R. Leachianus, there is boarding fee.

And Dan I have e-mails from you saying that you would correct this and keep your word and good name....(shipping) (08 specimen)???

Thanks,
Luc Cauthorn

(these bottom e-mails are from him, I did not even have time to reply to him!)

1) "You might keep in mind that I only have live arrival guarantee on lizards and my extended guarantee applies only to snakes, not lizards or anything else, so it went beyond my normal guarantee to offer to replace the one that obviously dehydrated during the trip and actually am not obligated to replace it in the first place. But if you are going to sit there and call me names, then I am not going to be eager to follow up with your issues. Dan"

2) "Luc, I don't appreciate your attitude and name calling. As you know, I did not ship the skinks to the wrong address, it was my agent who made the mistake. I asked you nicely to stop bothering me about it and you seem to wish to continue for some odd reason. I don't like to be harassed and ask you do not contact me further. Dan"

3) "I will contact this summer when I get another batch. Until then, I ask you to not harass me further. Dan"

After this things got worst he blocked my e-mail so I had to use a different account to get get ahold of him!
Why does he want to contact me this summer...Why can;t he just tell me if I am going to end up with three male pink tongue skinks and one female, that are of different ages! I ordered 2.2 06's!

I wrote:
Dan, This is not harassment. This is trying to make sure that you do not just send me a 08 unsexed specimen, and expect for me to pay for shipping. I am in no way name calling. You guaranteed healthy animals and live arrival. I got the live arrival, but you also gave a 48Hrs guarantee that if I found a problem then I needed to report it, which I did. I don't understand why you don't just replace the animal. I am sorry that your helper shipped them to the wrong addresses...You are still responsable.

Thanks,
Luc Cauthorn

P.S. Dan you can't just block my mail. I am going to have to call my lawyer, this is ridiculous

Luc, how old are you? I asked you 10 times not to harass me and you continue to harass. Are you a nut or a 10 year old?

Dan

Luc, Your harassment has caused me to retract my offer on a replacement. It is illegal for you to threaten me with legal action and I am going to block your email now. Please have your attorney send any correspondence to my business address. Also, let him know the skinks departed here healthy and arrived there alive. And grow up and get your mom's approval before using the internet.

Dan

I contacted my attorney, he said that I could probably win but would have to fly down there and bring him to court down in flordia! So this muck gets away with ripping another person off! please don't buy from him, he lies, changes stuff around especially his TOS and fakes harrasment!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckenzie_river_reptiles
2) "Luc, I don't appreciate your attitude and name calling. As you know, I did not ship the skinks to the wrong address, it was my agent who made the mistake. I asked you nicely to stop bothering me about it and you seem to wish to continue for some odd reason. I don't like to be harassed and ask you do not contact me further. Dan"
Dan, you're a moron if you think this holds water. Your shipping agent works of you and you are responsible for his/her screw-ups.

Quote:
Luc, Your harassment has caused me to retract my offer on a replacement. It is illegal for you to threaten me with legal action and I am going to block your email now. Please have your attorney send any correspondence to my business address. Also, let him know the skinks departed here healthy and arrived there alive. And grow up and get your mom's approval before using the internet.

Dan
It's illegal to threaten a lawsuit? Dan, go back on your medicine.

Luc, are any of the communications missing? Seems you only posted the recent ones. Dan has taken good care of some people but has also been reluctant to make right on his shipping goof ups in the past.

Also, by what means did he ship these animals?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
ravensgait
I don't know but it just seems that something is missing..

If I read that right you got 4 lizards that had been mistakenly shipped to a pet store instead of to you. The shipping mistake was straightened out and you got the 4 lizards but one didn't do well and died. You told Dan and he said he would get you another animal but that it would likely be summer before he could get you one.

You seem to be expecting Dan to supply you with something he doesn't seem to have right now but you want it right now. Like I said something seems to be missing in this story. But as I read your post I too think you are pestering the guy.

Did you ask Dan for a refund for that animal? If so what was his answer?
A discount was mentioned a few times, what did you pay for these critters and what was the going rate for them at that time..

I can understand that getting a baby doesn't help your breeding program right now but have the two of you talked of any other solution that you both can live with? Randy

Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
critical bill
I can knock $5 - $10 of animals all the time and call it a discounted rate just so I don't have guarantee what I'm selling?

You'd have to be a real scumbag to pull that nonsense and a totally dumb scumbag to think you could hide behind it.

GREAT DEAL FOR THE SELLER! CRAP DEAL FOR THE BUYER!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
spawn
You seem to be expecting Dan to supply you with something he doesn't seem to have right now but you want it right now.

Randy, let's be honest here. The reason this didn't bother me, as it didn't seem to bother Luc and the next poster above is because there isn't going to be a replacement -- or if there is, it's going to be more of the same garbage.

THE NUMBER ONE RED FLAG here is that the animals were shipped to a petstore instead of the person. Now, blaming this on the carrier creates a justification for "no guarantee" (as most do these days, unfortunately), and is just an easy way out to not follow up with compensation. Except there's one problem -- when the vendor agrees to ship an animal with UPS/USPS/FedEX/DHL/what-have-you, he employs that company to get the job done. If the job isn't done, the vendor takes it up with the shipper, NOT the customer. This is what Dan is implicating, that because he or his uneducated friend who can't ever get things right (how many vendors have blamed the associate who can't do things properly?) and shipped the animals to the wrong address, now voids him from more blame for a seemingly mindless task.

THE SECOND RED FLAG HERE is exactly what Chuck was talking about:

I can knock $5 - $10 of animals all the time and call it a discounted rate just so I don't have guarantee what I'm selling?

You'd have to be a real scumbag to pull that nonsense and a totally dumb scumbag to think you could hide behind it.

GREAT DEAL FOR THE SELLER! CRAP DEAL FOR THE BUYER!

This is more regurgitated garbage vendors keep recycling (those who can't own up to their mistakes because of their terrible profit margins or maybe their greed?) to void themselves of further compensation for bad deals. Bottom line here is: if you can't deal good animals, don't deal at all. The animals suffer, and people get pissed, Dan.

This is the same stuff -- "the animals were healthy and eating" -- that Dan fed me when I bought two Mossy Frogs from him last year. One died the day after in my care, and was clearly not eating for a while. I'm not here to start up a new case against him, because I don't have the proof and I've tried to forget about it now since NO ONE seems to guarantee amphibians, but this is the motivation for me to post that I TOO have experienced the exact words from Dan about animals being seemingly healthy before hand; once there are problems I hear about the no-guarantee; he promises to replace with something more valuable to make it seem like he's doing YOU [the person he screwed] a favor, then when you pursue it, he changes his mind, says you're too aggressive to be calling him on his promise, and he wants to halt communication. Happened to me. Words of someone who wants to cover his tracks without falling in the least bit.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Mckenzie_river_reptiles
I deleted most of my other e-mails from him. They were mostly about the animals when he was shipping them, etc...

Then he said he was going to "replace" the animal. That should mean shipping, correct sex, and an 06. No all he could do is say Stop pestering me!

And no, I was not pestering him. I was trying to get my animal from him in the summer...But I had a bad feeling that he was going to jam me, which he did. The pink tongue skinks were posted as 06's and were not said to be discounted! I did get shipping for free at first but since it was a payment plan, he changed the price at the last payment to where I had to pay for shipping!
What is up with him saying that the shipping error is his agents fault!
He wouldn't talk to me about anything! He even blocked my e-mails!!!

I would never buy from this guy...ever!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
Mckenzie_river_reptiles
Thank you so much spawn you put that perfectly!!!
You read my mind to everyone!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
critical bill
Quote:
Then he said he was going to "replace" the animal. That should mean shipping, correct sex, and an 06.
Just for clarification.....

He also sent you mis-sexed animals correct? You purchased a 2.2 and received a 3.1 in which the lone female died and all you have now are males?

If so, did you ever ask him for the ratio to be corrected? What was his response? Did he offer you an adjustment?

Or did he just give you the same song and dance routine about discounted animals not being guaranteed?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
ravensgait
OK Frank, be honest then lol as I can only go by what I see here .. I don't know you I don't know the OP and I don't know Dan. I've seen Dan has had some trouble with shipping in the past. The rest of what you posted has nothing to do with it.. If I read those emails correctly Dan said he would replace the animal as soon as he had more to replace it with. If there were more emails than the OP posted here asking the same thing over and over then yeah I think he was being a pest. Frank why is it I get the impression you think I'm defending Dan? If that's what you think then guess again, if you have a problem with my opinion to bad.

Lucius you didn't answer my questions.. And I don't even want to try and read your mind so try typing the answers here. Anyone who's been around a while knows Dan has had a few problems in the past but that doesn't excuse you from making your own case here.. Randy

Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
spawn
No problem. Just calling it like I see it.

I also took screenshots of the ad you referenced in your first post, as the ad is over a week old, and due to expire any day soon, and when people pull up this thread years from now they will only be able to imagine what was in it (excuse the large resolution; I didn't want to resize too much because my monitor runs on 1920 x 1200, and lessening the dimensions skewed the text):

I was looking at some adds on kingsnake.com and came accross this

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=34&de=564420

I e-mailed the guy and he said that they are 6 months old...I thought why are mine so small. After all they are "06s"

Original ad.

First picture.

Second picture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!