A loss to the Herp Community...James Bear - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Tim Cole
A loss to the Herp Community...James Bear

James Bear was bitten through the bag by a Canebrake Rattlesnake. Due to a previous bite he had an allergic reaction and and probably went into anaphylactic shock. He was without oxygen for about 15 minutes. He is brain dead and on life support which will be disconnected today.

I'll admit, I did not know James well. I sold him a few snakes and we traded e-mails and phone calls. I knew him through his best friend Anthony Fish.

Immediately after the bite, James wife Danielle asked Anthony and I to come and get the snakes. At the same time, New Mexico Fish & Game, US Fish & Wildlife agencies got involved. They had some questions about James and the snake collection. I believe Anthony, Danielle, and I were able to answer them well enough to clear up questions they had along with properly identifying the snakes. Anthony and I explained why we were there and let them know that we are ready to remove them as soon as possible. One less thing for Danielle to deal with. Hopefully we will be contacted today with an ok from NM Game & Fish.

A fund will be set-up shortly for those wishing to make donations to the surviving wife and 3 children.

This is a large collection (200+) consisting of boids, colubrids, neo-tropical rattlesnakes, NA rattlesnakes, European vipers, lanceheads, cages and racks.

Next week I hope to have these animals in Texas and ready to be sold. The money will go to the family.

If someone is interested in these animals ,cages, or to express condolences, feel free to contact myself or Anthony Fish [morelia40@aol.com] or (281) 788-5466.

My phone number (512) 83-SNAKE. 512 (837-6253).

Old 01-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
psilocybe
Wow...apparently I'm still "Fined and suspended", yet I can still post. Rich, feel free to let me know if you actually want me to pay the fine for this access.

Hi Seamus,

Good to see you around again, it's been a while.

I didn't know James or even know of him prior to this incident, which is essentially local news here since Deming is only an hours drive from me. Based on some of the threads regarding him here on the BOI, some of his dealings and choices be in question.

However, there is an old saying "Don't kick a man while he's down". I'd say that unfortunately, in James' case, he is most definitely down right now. Regardless of what he may have done in the past, certainly it can't be horrible enough to celebrate his death. His family is likely in quite the financial bind right now, not to mention the inconceivable reality of losing him so prematurely. It's probably best to either say a few kind words about him and wish his family the best, or simply say nothing at all.

Take care,

Abhishek

Old 01-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
psilocybe
And Tim...I called you and left Mike's number (guy who runs the rescue here). He also has a reptile shop and would be willing to put some of the animals for sale there, all proceeds going to James' family of course. I also gave him your number.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Tim Cole
James is no longer with us. Seamus, everyone no matter what there reputation has contributed some good. I have only recently sold some snakes to James so I will not argue about his rep nor is this the time. I am only trying to do what's best for the family and the snakes.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Seamus, WTF is your problem? That has got to be the most uncouth, thing I have ever seen come from those hateful little fingers of yours. They just unplugged the guy a couple hours ago, and you come and disgrace his family before he's even cold. Not cool at all bro. Shoulda just kept that one to yourself.
Regardless of what he has done in the past, I am sure his family had nothing to do with it, and certainly ain't deserving of comments like that so soon after his passing. That's just not right.

Tim, wish you luck man. Hopefully these animals and caging will sell, and get the family a little bit of relief from the bills I am sure will follow soon enough. Send me the proper info, links etc. and I'll help spread the word about getting these animals sold.

Rick

Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Seamus, WTF is your problem? That has got to be the most uncouth, thing I have ever seen come from those hateful little fingers of yours. They just unplugged the guy a couple hours ago, and you come and disgrace his family before he's even cold. Not cool at all bro. Shoulda just kept that one to yourself.
Regardless of what he has done in the past, I am sure his family had nothing to do with it, and certainly ain't deserving of comments like that so soon after his passing. That's just not right.

Tim, wish you luck man. Hopefully these animals and caging will sell, and get the family a little bit of relief from the bills I am sure will follow soon enough. Send me the proper info, links etc. and I'll help spread the word about getting these animals sold.

Rick
His wife was right in the thick of it... and frankly the fact he was fatally envenomated isn't exactly surprising considering his terrible attitude towards proper handling and housing- the man was pure unadultered trash and his death doesn't change what he was.

Maybe instead of giving the money from the sale of the collection to the woman who helped him lie, cheat and steal- you should be funneling it back to the people he ripped off.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
KelliH
I am extremely ill right now and should be in bed but I saw this and wanted to reply. Seamus, please, have some respect for the man's family at this time. I don't know the man or anything about him, but I am asking you to please bite your tongue right now. Thanks.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Seamus, please, have some respect for the man's family at this time. I don't know the man or anything about him, but I am asking you to please bite your tongue right now. Thanks.
Not gonna happen Kelli. The man was subhuman garbage and should not be glorified simply because he's not around anymore.

It also occurs to me that it may not even be completely accurate- at least twice in the past his standard theiving story was that his house had burned down as an excuse for why he was unable to make good on his debts... when his house has *not burned down* and he was simply making a planned move out of the area. A scumbag who lies about something like that could lie about anything. I'm not certain what the angle would be exactly, unless he's wracked up massive debts again and wants them forgiven while he pushes his animals in some kind of pity sale, but his partner in crime scumbag wife can't be trusted either.

He had never done a damn thing to redeem himself or to pay back the people he stole from and there's no way in hell I'll let anyone publically promote him as a good person or his death as some tragic loss without rebuttal. A criminal jackass died from what sounds like a direct result of his criminal jackassery; I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
I fail to see one word of glorification in this thread. Even the title only says "a loss" to the herp community. Nobody is glorifying him, his wrong doings, or his obvious inability to handle venomous reptiles in a competent manner.

He's paid a price, the ultimate price actually. Now his family is paying a price as well, whether you feel it's a high enough price or not. And I assure you, the man is indeed dead. It's not some ploy to heist peoples money.

Have a little class at the minimum and let them grieve before attacking them. You do have a little class in there somewhere, don't you? I know I've seen it once or twice at least.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Whats the point in attacking a dead guy and his family anyway? the snakes are being sold, and more than likely thatll be the last you ever hear of them. If its that important, start a BOI thread and continue there, but really... whats the point?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!