How Hot Does Flexwatt Get Without a T-Stat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
LittleGrayTiger
How Hot Does Flexwatt Get Without a T-Stat?

This was a bit of info I was trying to google and oddly couldn't find it.

What temperature will Flexwatt (Say 2 feet of the 11 inch type) get if it's just plugged in straight and allowed to run? The whole of the internet says "too hot", but I'm interested in actual numbers.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I've read anywhere from 120-158 degrees.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
bcr229
I can't give a number, but from an unfortunate circumstance where a t-stat probe was dislodged when the rack was moved... hot enough to burn holes in the plastic tubs.

Fortunately no snakes were injured.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
2006r1
i would like to see pics of that. I just got a rack yesterday and unfortunately could not get my hands on a t-stat. I also bught 4 ball pythons yesterday as well. In the meantime im going direct into the wall until the vivarium 300 I ordered comes in. Its a back heat Animal Plastics 10 high rack. 72 inches with flexwatt about 12 inches across. it seems to be working well, not hot enough to melt anything for sure. maybe if it were belly heat?..

Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
hhmoore
A) FlexWatt hasn't been available for years (except as old stock, but it would be rare to find). It was a brand, not an item. Calorique is the most common, but not the only, brand available now.
B) The maximum temperature will vary by the brand and the size.
C) Since you mentioned 11" - IF it's Calorique, it's a little different now than when I bought my supply...but I think it's the same wattage. Figure about 130 degrees; and yes, it will burn through tubs that rest it...but that can happen over time at temps of 100 degrees. (that way starts as discoloring and a slow degradation of the plastic. Eventually it becomes scorched looking and brittle)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!