Choose you species of feeder cricket carefully! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
snowgyre
Choose you species of feeder cricket carefully!

From the following article: http://entomologytoday.org/2014/12/2...-for-pet-food/

Due to the disease that wiped out many cricket farms a couple of years ago, several species of crickets were imported to the US. Some of the importations were illegal, and the species have significant potential of becoming invasive if released. Always ask your cricket supplier which species they breed and/or sell. Avoid all species in the Gryllus genus. Gryllodes sigillatus is a tropical species that is reliant upon humans, and is the best alternative to the domestic cricket, Acheta domesticus. Some sellers may advertise all their stock as domestic crickets, so buyer beware. Gryllus sp. crickets are very aggressive and can kill smaller lizards (a wild Mormon's cricket killed one of my steppe runners when I was a wee squeaker of a reptile owner who didn't know any better).

Please read the well-written article for more details.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Snake-Queen
I have been using Gryllodes sigillatus for over 4 years, which is what my supplier breeds. I prefer them over the Acheta domesticus, as they live longer and do not smell as bad.

Thank you for the article.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!