about siklback and their husbandry - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #41
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
Please understand that it's not that I don't have the patience but I really don't have the time to decifer the first few posts in this thread. I am also having some health issues and it really hurts my brain trying to figure out what's what.
I would like to know, in plain english, in such a way that I can understand if there was any inbreeding taking place to create the silks. Yes or No.
If you don't have first hand knowledge but happens to be a much better person then myself and read this entire thread AND understands it, I would appreciate your input as I seem to be lost.

Thank you.
The answer to your question is yes.
Hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #42
puppytoes72
denise,i know who you are talking about and it makes me cringe too

Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #43
Wolfy-hound
Could we please keep the thread to the subject and debate the adeno virus in the other threads about it?
The inbreeding has been explained several times.
Technically you could say they were somewhat line bred.
Technically it's not inbreeding.
He said he took the clutch, divided it and OUTCROSSED them to other unrelated dragons. Then he took babies and bred them to unrelated. THEN he took babies and bred them to babies from the OTHER babies descended from the other half.
It's a co-dom trait. Therefor extensive outcrossing is available, and that negates some of the genetic closeness. It's not brother to sister. It's more like 3rd or 4th cousins. Technically it's a form of inbreeding called line breeding and line crossing.
I personally wouldn't worry about the genes in this situation, rather I'd only worry about the traits that haven't been studied closely enough.
So far Alessendro said that the skin is tough enough to not tear up. He said they bask in the same temputures as his other normal dragons, which is a lower temp than U.S. dragons are generally kept. So far no abnormal health issues have been observed in them.
So... until it's shown that there is some sort of health issue inherant in this particular co-dom gene, the silkbacks seem okay health wise, if odd in appreance.
SO FAR.
Any observations I missed? I'm trying to summarize here.
Wolfy

Old 07-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #44
puppytoes72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound
Could we please keep the thread to the subject and debate the adeno virus in the other threads about it?
The inbreeding has been explained several times.
Technically you could say they were somewhat line bred.
Technically it's not inbreeding.
He said he took the clutch, divided it and OUTCROSSED them to other unrelated dragons. Then he took babies and bred them to unrelated. THEN he took babies and bred them to babies from the OTHER babies descended from the other half.
It's a co-dom trait. Therefor extensive outcrossing is available, and that negates some of the genetic closeness. It's not brother to sister. It's more like 3rd or 4th cousins. Technically it's a form of inbreeding called line breeding and line crossing.
I personally wouldn't worry about the genes in this situation, rather I'd only worry about the traits that haven't been studied closely enough.
So far Alessendro said that the skin is tough enough to not tear up. He said they bask in the same temputures as his other normal dragons, which is a lower temp than U.S. dragons are generally kept. So far no abnormal health issues have been observed in them.
So... until it's shown that there is some sort of health issue inherant in this particular co-dom gene, the silkbacks seem okay health wise, if odd in appreance.
SO FAR.
Any observations I missed? I'm trying to summarize here.
Wolfy
so that would be a "yes"?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #45
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytoes72
denise,i know who you are talking about and it makes me cringe too
He was probably the lucky recipient of one brainwashing phone call from the Dachius telling him how it was okay to do this...the sad thing is he believed them.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #46
whiskersmom
Thank you Denise. That's what I thougt.
One more question.....how do they know what problems this mutation will encounter in the future as a direct result of this inbreeding?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #47
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
Thank you Denise. That's what I thougt.
One more question.....how do they know what problems this mutation will encounter in the future as a direct result of this inbreeding?
At this point, its not the inbreeding, or line breeding, that is the biggest issue, at least not in my opinion. Its the inability of these critters to process Keratin, an issue it appears that they would like to see just go away.
There are very few of these little mutants around right now, they were just created, and I use that word intentionally, in the last year. My understanding is that none of them have been bred yet, so they haven't had to deal with the damage that a full grown bearded dragons teeth and nails can do during the breeding process.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #48
puppytoes72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisebme
At this point, its not the inbreeding, or line breeding, that is the biggest issue, at least not in my opinion. Its the inability of these critters to process Keratin, an issue it appears that they would like to see just go away.
There are very few of these little mutants around right now, they were just created, and I use that word intentionally, in the last year. My understanding is that none of them have been bred yet, so they haven't had to deal with the damage that a full grown bearded dragons teeth and nails can do during the breeding process.
denise,you never got your question about the keratin answered yet,did you?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #49
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytoes72
denise,you never got your question about the keratin answered yet,did you?
Not by either of the parties involved here.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #50
whiskersmom
Should experiments such as this be performed by just breeders? By anyone?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread