OMG! I hatched a two-headed dragon! - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #61
Beardiepal
They are the sweetest...I hope the very best...B

Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #62
GottaLuvHerps
Jamie, just thought I'd ask - how are the little ones doing?

Kelly

Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #63
Valley Dragons
They are doing great! I am 95% sure that they are girls...so I need a girl name, lol. Any suggestions? I'll get some updated pics later this week.

Jamie

Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #64
GottaLuvHerps
go cheesy and go with thelma and louise. lol.
where are new pics???

Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #65
dragongirl6
I just couldn't resist adding my ethical opinion, could I? Now, keep in mind that I am sixteen and perfectly ignorant about a tremendous number of things in life, but this is my current opinion.

In my opinion, it is perfectly reasonable to make money breeding reptiles. That is, if the animals are healthy, properly cared for, and found good homes with the agreement to take them back if it ever doesn't work out (basically ensuring they all stay happy and healthy and don't end up in rescues/shelters). It is important, however, not to lose sight of how much money and time and effort it takes to breed well while trying to make money.

I also think that breeding two headed dragons is not something that should be explored. Even though these babies (this baby?) seem to be healthy and happy (and my congratulations, by the way, on doing so well with them), how can you know that the next set of twins your female throws will be? How can you know that they won't have a different configuration of organs and therefore be unhealthy?

I am not saying no one should explore genetics, but it isn't worth (in my opinion) adding dragons to the gene pool that carry the genetics to produce twins that are more than likely to not be healthy, since the 11 month old(s) are the only ones I've ever heard of surviving, and the twins from her last clutch didn't even hatch.

My biggest question is, what is the point in trying to breed two headed dragons? Is there something you are aiming for that I don't understand? How is it different from trying to breed, say, two headed dogs or cats? That seems like something most people would be disgusted by. Why are dragons different in your opinion?

Just questions, no offense or harm intended. I'm just curious.

They are incredibly cute and you definitely shouldn't freeze them if they are doing well. Besides, they should be humanely euthanized, not frozen.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #66
areptiledisfunction98045
Anna, the reason someone may explore a genetic abnormality such as this is simple. It commands a large price tag. On www.turtlesale.com right now they are selling yellow belly turtles for $19.95, they have a two-headed yellow belly for $1800.00. See the profitability in such a genetic abnormality, Casey Lazik, has a 9 year old RES with two heads he is asking $10,000.00 for.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I am not saying Jamie meant for this to happen but I think it is pretty cool, and hope this little critter lives a long happy life.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:43 AM   #67
dragongirl6
Hmmm, I'm not convinced that that is a good reason to sacrifice the health of an animal in continued breeding. The fact is, there are already plenty of unwanted and poorly cared for bearded dragons. Why add a whole other gene to be taken advantage of and exploited and perpetuated for money? Not talking about you, Valley. It just tends to be human nature to jump in on the latest big thing without thinking of the animals. Look at designer dogs! People will undoubtedly want them because they are new and different and can be sold for lots of money, but where will they end up? And who will ensure that they do not breed grossly deformed and dysfunctional animals?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 AM   #68
areptiledisfunction98045
No one will that is why Spider Ball Pythons are beautiful, but every last one of them is retarded, because they are so inbred to get the right genetic combo for coloration and pattern.

Hey but they command a hefty price tag so lets keep on breeding them.

No one ever said it was ethical, no one ever said it was right, but it is the way of the world.

You must understand 2 headed animals are a genetic abnormality that happens naturally when twins don't split properly, similar to conjoined twin myslexia (sp). No one to my knowledge is breeding for this particular abnormality.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #69
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by areptiledisfunction98045
No one will that is why Spider Ball Pythons are beautiful, but every last one of them is retarded, because they are so inbred to get the right genetic combo for coloration and pattern.

Hey but they command a hefty price tag so lets keep on breeding them.

No one ever said it was ethical, no one ever said it was right, but it is the way of the world.

You must understand 2 headed animals are a genetic abnormality that happens naturally when twins don't split properly, similar to conjoined twin myslexia (sp). No one to my knowledge is breeding for this particular abnormality.
All spider balls are not "retarded". Some seem to have a serious neurological issue, some seem to have a slight issue...and some show no problems at all. There are folks that are being selective and only breeding those that show no issues with the "wobbling".

And it has nothing to do with being "inbred".

And as far as "no one breeding for the abnormality"...you already referred to that turtlesale.com site. They claim to be specifically breeding for 2 headed turtles, and the OP seems to be doing the same thing, really.

I'm still curious to know if all of the buyers of her clutches from last year were made aware of the possibility they carry this "twinning gene" Jamie speaks of.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #70
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
All spider balls are not "retarded". Some seem to have a serious neurological issue, some seem to have a slight issue...and some show no problems at all. There are folks that are being selective and only breeding those that show no issues with the "wobbling".

And it has nothing to do with being "inbred".

And as far as "no one breeding for the abnormality"...you already referred to that turtlesale.com site. They claim to be specifically breeding for 2 headed turtles, and the OP seems to be doing the same thing, really.

I'm still curious to know if all of the buyers of her clutches from last year were made aware of the possibility they carry this "twinning gene" Jamie speaks of.
As far as if this is a genetic trait...I recently found out that Akira's mom produced twins too. So is this genetic? It's a possibility. I have a friend that has one of Akira's female offspring from last year. She will be bred late this fall or next spring. Perhaps this will tell me if this is a genetic trait or a fluke. One thing is for sure...this is not exactly a common problem, lol. I have more babies from Akira that will be ready for sale in a couple of weeks. I have no problem letting people know that they are siblings to a two-headed dragon. Some people might actually find that to be desirable, lol. I have two more clutches of Akira eggs. Time will tell if she produces any more twins or two-headed dragons.

As far as the money issue...yep...the little buggers would bring good money. I've had plenty of offers. Do I plan to sell her? Nope, she's the coolest lizard ever...but in saying that, if I produced another one, I would probably raise it to sell. Several thousand dollars would buy a WHOLE lot of roaches for my other dragons...

Jamie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!