Gas prices and Stupidity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Gas prices and Stupidity

The folks that set the gas prices have to be the stoopidest people on the planet.

This was posted on Yahoo

Demand for gasoline in US continues to decline

Well no crap. I have a 13 gal tank in my little car and last night it cost me over $47 to fill it up. All these idiots see is the price they could charge for gas. What they are failing to see is if you keep hitting us harder and harder we are eventually going to have to stop using it for all but the most esential of things like going to work.

I do my grocery shopping on the way home from work or via the internet. Vacations are pretty much a thing of the past. Going out to the park doesn't happen near as often as it used to. I dont drive over to Memphis to go to the zoo or botanical gardens.

All because someone wanted to get greedy. Some will say its simple economics... supply and demand. I beg to differ.

Think about it. When gas was 2 bucks a gallon we were going everywhere... we were buying gas guzzlin trucks and SUV's. They are making a whole lot of money because we were really using it.

Now that its closer to 4 bucks a gallon... we are staying home, we're buying electric cars, and they aint making squat off of us because we only use it when we have to.

So which makes more sense.... price it lower so folks will use more which makes us more money.

Or

Price it higher because of BS supply and demand and folks will quit demanding it and start buying more fuel efficient vehicles and thus you loose in the long run.

Like I said... the folks that set the gas prices are stooopid. Enjoy the article.. its pretty good.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Demand...43613.html?x=0

Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
KelliH
I know I am gonna get slammed for this, but I am glad gas prices are rising. Maybe now we will put more money and time into learning about alternative energy sources and also fixing the horribly damaged public transportation system we now have in this country.

Oil is not going to last forever. The price of oil is going to continue to rise, which means so is the price of gas. This article was written last September but it is one of the best ones explaining why we are in the situation we are in.
http://www.investingcontrarian.com/i...bout-peak-oil/

Old 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Southern Wolf
Im not gonna slam ya.... but public transportation is only good for those that live in the city... and Im glad I dont. I have no desire to be stacked next to my neighbor like cord wood.

As for alternate energy... we've had that for over 50 some odd years.... but the oil companies and gov wont let us use it. It's called Moonshine. The ridgerunners used it to power thier cars when they were running from the law.

Think about it.... it takes corn to make the shine. This country grows a whole lot of corn. Most farm equipment requires diesel... and we can now produce bio diesel using soybeans. this country also grows a whole lot of soybeans.

So why is that we arent already off oil. Because the oil companies and their special interest groups keep throwing money at our gov so we will stay dependent on oil.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Im not gonna slam ya.... but public transportation is only good for those that live in the city... and Im glad I dont. I have no desire to be stacked next to my neighbor like cord wood.

As for alternate energy... we've had that for over 50 some odd years.... but the oil companies and gov wont let us use it. It's called Moonshine. The ridgerunners used it to power thier cars when they were running from the law.

Think about it.... it takes corn to make the shine. This country grows a whole lot of corn. Most farm equipment requires diesel... and we can now produce bio diesel using soybeans. this country also grows a whole lot of soybeans.

So why is that we arent already off oil. Because the oil companies and their special interest groups keep throwing money at our gov so we will stay dependent on oil.
Yeah, I had to do a presentation/report for my Eng 103 class on alternative energy and you would be amazed at how long it has really been around. Wind and water energy has been around forever now. They just won't let us/do not use it enough.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
WebSlave
There is a possibility that the threat of oil running out, and which gives the oil companies the justification of ever increasing prices, just might be a scam.

http://www.viewzone.com/abioticoilx.html

http://www.philipbrennan.net/2010/06...t-you-to-know/

Let's face it, the entire idea of all of the oil in the world being generated by dead and decaying animal and vegetable matter somehow seeping down into the ground against the pressures that are at those depths, and then percolating into chambers of crude oil just seems pretty ridiculous when you think about it. If this process were true, then there should be zillions of barrels of "almost crude oil" at levels closer to the surface on it's way to percolating down to those lower levels in the earth. Where are they? And again, how do they get INTO those areas to be pressurized without the pressure keeping that from happening?

Further, if you have a bunch of dead animal and vegetable matter laying on the ground, has ANYONE ever seen it actually start seeping down into the ground? I haven't. All I see is it decomposing and being consumed by the legions of scavenger creatures that abound. Otherwise I could be making my own oil reserves with the compost pit out back..

Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
I am glad gas prices are rising. Maybe now we will put more money and time into learning about alternative energy sources and also fixing the horribly damaged public transportation system we now have in this country.

I try to take public transportation as much as possible, especailly when commuting (although admit that I am lazy quite often and still drive). I heard there's an all electric scooter coming out soon (http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?rssid=25246) I may have to pick one of those up! Hybrid and E-cars are still a bit pricey, hopefully they will come down soon.

Gas is crazy expensive! I remember in the late 90s when it was under $2/gallon and over in Europe they were already paying over $5/gallon

the rich love to get richer

Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #7
KelliH
Quote:

I could debate the peak oil theory, and alternative energy sources and why none of those alternative energy sources currently being touted can even come close to running the world as we know it, for days. I've done extensive research on the oil industry, fossil fuels, and possible fossil fuel alternatives for several years now. All I would advise you to do is look at the scientific research that has been done on all of these alternative energy sources. Take corn, for instance, or any other crop grown on a commercial level. We use a certain amount of energy to produce crops, because we use machinery that is manufactured and runs on fossil fuels. In a nutshell, if it uses more energy or the same amount of energy to make/refine than it puts out, it isn't going to work as a replacement fuel source. Look up "EROEI and alternative energy". There is no simple solution to this problem, and what I have never understood is why this issue is not being talked about on the news every day. It's the biggest and baddest challenge that modern civilization has ever had.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Southern Wolf
That is why I suggested running our farm equipment off bio deisel. Yes... your burning fuel to plant and harvest the crop... but its a fuel we produced.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Focal
They are making a killing not because less people (drivers) are burning gas, because there are a lot of products and companies that still require the same amount of gas regardless of price.

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought you were refering to the new drivers like me... the ones that do 30 in a 55

Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:

Now that its closer to 4 bucks a gallon... we are staying home, we're buying electric cars, and they aint making squat off of us because we only use it when we have to.
Economics is like a rubber band, if you stretch it one way, it changes in other ways.

Believe me, they are making squat and then some. Petroleum is used for everything. I almost had a coronary a couple years ago when I needed a new roof and heard what it was going to cost. Apparently some roofing materials are made with petroleum products.

When you stay home instead of going everywhere, you still eat food, and those prices have risen, wear clothes, and those prices have risen, and even things like homeowner's insurance can be tied in with petroleum because THEY have to drive and all that so those costs go up too.

You may not pay at the pump, but you pay.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!