Permanent Vaseline Alternative for Roaches? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
Dannypritchett01
Permanent Vaseline Alternative for Roaches?

Guys/Gals maybe you can help me out. Not too long ago I think I saw an ad on Fauna or a Banner that was about this product you could buy and brush on your containers and it gave a permanent barrier around the top of your containers that the roaches couldn't climb. I have been beating myself up for 2 months almost looking for this product again. Does anyone know what its called? I am getting sick of Vaseline. I keep getting it all over my clothes, all over the place. We have got to find an alternative to keep our Madagascar hissers in without using Vaseline.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
joe johnson
Ive heard of people using wide clear packing tape around the top. Not sure if it works but worth a shot.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Dannypritchett01
Anyone else used packing tape? I have used it for Cricket Tubs but not roaches. I just don't want millions of Madagascar hissers getting out.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
defcon222
I bought some stuff from Aaron Pauling when I got a few roaches. He calls it 'super slick roach barrier'.

What I found recently seems to work pretty well. Go to home depot (lowes probably has something, too). Go the the lubricant isle and you should be able to find some grease to use. I used the marine Grease, it's about $6 for a 14-16oz tube. I put a 2" stripe of it on the top of my sterilite bin and my Lobster and hisser roaches can't climb it. I haven't had any problems with it falling off and it's been on for about a year or so and still sticky!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Dannypritchett01
I am trying to get away from the greasy stuff. I did see something online finally about some liquid Teflon. Would that be the same as the Super Slick Roach Barrier? or is that a greasy product.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
defcon222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannypritchett01 View Post
I am trying to get away from the greasy stuff. I did see something online finally about some liquid Teflon. Would that be the same as the Super Slick Roach Barrier? or is that a greasy product.
I'm not sure what the roach barrier is, it just came in a plain cup. I've heard the liquid Teflon option, too, but the marine grease was easier. I couldn't find any decent liquid Teflon locally that wasn't greasy.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Dannypritchett01
Well everyone, I finally found liquid Teflon and gave it a try. Here are my results. The first time I used it I put a small swipe of it inside of a blue squat bait cup. I placed a Madagascar hissing cockroach nymph in it and as it got there it would fall back down. Then I tried it in a larger tub with my Lobster Roaches. They walked right over it. I did notice if you barely touch the barrier it takes the powder residue of which I think was the reason. I am going to play around with it some more but if all else fails I did find some Escape Proof containers today. To keep my roaches I will definitely purchase as many as I need. Anyone else have any tips? Does anyone know what the Super Slick Roach Barrier is on the Aaron Pauling website. It looks a lot like Vaseline in his photos. I wanted to order some and give it a try but if its olive oil or something I could buy that from the store.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Fisher Reptiles
I use clear packing tape and it always works. Just be sure to keep the surface of the tape clean (no dust accumulation) I usually use about 2 rows horizontally going around the inside top edge of the tubs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!