flexwatt heat tape? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
amayon
Question flexwatt heat tape?

how does this stuff work, can anyone explain it better please?
I have 4 sterilite bins stacked right now, because im not set up for a rack yet. I dont want to ruin them for future use by sticking a stupid UTH on them. I just talked to someone who said I can use flexwatt and just zigzag it around the short ends of each, in serpentine pattern, for a temp measure. this sounds great but beyond that im not sure how this stuff works. how to i hook it up? what is a good reliable well made brand or model of thermostat for it? Any reasons I cannot use flexwatt for this? the bins are also in my closet, on top of cardboard boxes. closed space + cardboard= fire hazard? or should i be ok? thank you in advance for the help

Old 11-02-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
wcreptiles
... The Flexwatt heat tape uses a semi-conductive carbon film as the heating element, which I believe is actually printed onto the plastic panel. When power is applied to the Flexwatt the resistance of the carbon film causes the panel to heat up. This is the same as your burners on your electric stove except the resistive load are nichrome wires not a carbon film. This isn't the most technical explanation but I hope it gets the idea across.

... I can't/won't comment on the use of flexwatt in a closet with cardboard etc. other than, if properly setup and controlled with a thermostat it shouldn't get above your set point (of maybe 88 to 98 F). I would make the setup as fire safe as possible. I have had flexwatt heating in plastic racks and cages for years without problems, all controlled with thermostats. You need to be the final judge if the setup is fire safe or not.

... Here is a link to a discussion about thermostats.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...766#post296766

... Clay Davenport's website shows you how to wire flexwatt heat tape;

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.shtml

I hope I answered some of your questions. Good luck with your heating endeavor.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
twps
You should be able to use the flexwatt heat tape like you want to just get a good themostat and overheating shouldnt be a problem. If you are looking to expand into a rack system later then dont skimp on the thermostat and you can reuse it when you build your rack.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
twps
Whoops forgot to say that I have a helix themostat and it has never been a problem.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Hyperherps
Safety First

As safe as flexwatt and a thermostat should be I would not put the flexwatt on cardboard especially in a closet. If the thermostat happens to be faulty you would have yourself a possible fire. Chances are slim but it is there. I am always extra cautious. But I am sure you already knew of the possibility of a fire hazard and just needed reasurance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!