nile monitor questions - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #41
benoliver
all monitors should be fed prekilled and if they need movement drag the mouse or rat by the tail to get the critter to move just watch your hands. You should give you monitor a feeding station that is not in its enclosure that way your monitor doesn't see you hand come in and thinks its time to eat.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #42
cody92
try just having your hand near him without touching him. i did that with mine and hes about 5 feet long now. monitors dont like to be grabed so he trys to run and getting him out turns into a fight and he remembers that. my nile comes out of his cage on his own now. he is very tame

Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #43
benoliver
monitors

my niles were a little over 6' and the other was just over 4'. they were awesome eaters. they ate everything from crayfish to deer and fresh roadkill. when i had niles there wasn't many people that would mess with them. it was over 12 or 13 years ago. now i have savannahs bearded dragons a few gecko species and now i have T's

Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #44
Millinex
Maurice I appreciate you calling out tails but at the same time your husbandry is far from perfect either. While I do appreciate and respect the fact you have bred the species in captivity- neither animals are true "adults" based upon the fact they fit into a 75g enclosure, I know a few people with adults, and there is no prayer of fitting them into a 75g enclosure.

I also disagree highly with your substrate choices, deep dirt is always huge with these guys, and I have noticed a tremendous difference in behavior when mine where switched to deep dirt straight out of my back yard. Monitors love to burrow and dig- no reason to not provide this substrate.

As for the OP- your monitor is biting you and trying to get away in fear- so leave him alone. Stop touching him. He isn't "behaving" he's giving up and playing dead hoping you'll put him away and leave him alone. You are stressing him, which may very well lead to an earlier death of your animal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!