Taming Help Desperately Needed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
bamf226
Taming Help Desperately Needed

I bought a young iguana about 10 days ago from a local pet store. He looked healthy and hungry. About 5 days after we bought him, I noticed a patch of skin that hadn't molted properly on one of his front legs. After clipping away some of the dead skin, I noticed a small cut in his skin and took him to the doctor the next day. (I promise I'm going somewhere relating to taming). He had an abscess from the bad molt and is now receiving oral antibiotics, application of ointment on his leg and 15 minute soaks every day.

Well, the treatments are going decently except for the fact that getting him out of the cage is a giant ordeal. Even unzipping the cage makes the iguana uneasy and ready to bolt. It takes a great deal of effort to grab him before he hurts himself.

The treatments should only last for another week at most; he sees the doctor again this weekend. My primary concern is how am I going to tame this little guy. He's already scared to death of me and my wife. I don't know what to do. I see no way to tame him after the traumatic beginnings. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to tame him and how long it could take? To me, it isn't worth having a pet if it is scared of you, but I've put so much money and time into building his habitat and caring for him during his injury. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
PythonWallace
It's good to hear that you brought it to the vet. It sounds like you need to read up on iguanas, though. I take it you are keeping him in a nylon Reptarium being that his enclosure zips. Iguanas need higher humidity that you can't get with a Reptarium. This could cause health problems, including stuck sheds. You won't be able to tame him quickly, as he's probably very stressed from all the excitement of a new home and the vet trip, not to mention getting yanked out every day to give him antibiotics. To tame him you should let him adjust after he finishes his medicine, then start hand feeding him until he seems more comfortable with you. After a while start taking him out for short periods and hand feed him after you put him back in his cage. It will take some time, but if you work at it consistantly, he will calm down for you. I'm not experienced with iguanas, so I won't get into the whole spiel about iguanas and cage size and impulse purchases, but the first thing you should do is get a good iguana book and read some websites, then get him set up correctly so he doesn't continue having problems.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
bamf226
The bad molt happened before we got him. I was concerned after a few days and when the clipping of the dead skin revealed a cut, I became very concerned.

You are correct though that I have a Reptarium. He seems very happy in it when he is left alone. He plays daily in his water and the whole cage gets misted in the mornings.

I've bought two books and my wife and I have researched countless hours on web sites for months before getting him. Even after we got him we were doing research on his reactions to everything to make sure everything was right for him.

I have yet to be able to hand feed him. I've tried several times between buying him and the first trip to the vet, but he wouldn't eat. He eats plenty if you leave him alone though.

Assuming I can get him to hand feed, how long do I give it before he calms down?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
PythonWallace
I don't know how long it will take, but my chameleons usually took a couple of months of hand feeding before they would volunteerily climb on my hand to be taken out of the cage. I think the zippers on reptariums startle them, and probably delay the process of making them feel comfortable when you open the cage to take them out. I'd say give him some time to adjust after he's all done with his vet trips and medicine. After he has acclimated to the new environment and a new owner, start offering him food from tongs, then eventually your hand. Building a custom cage won't hurt, and will probably reduce the time it takes for him to become tame. Eventually start taking him out and let him walk around on your couch with you while you watch TV so he learns that there isn't any threat being out of his cage. It could take a few weeks, or it might take a few months. Just keep working with him.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
hhmoore
First of all, forget timelines. NOBODY is going to be able to tell you how long it is going to take, or even if it will ever happen. You may get a handful of totally different responses, telling you how to tame him/her...and a good percentage of those will be from people that have never kept iguanas (no offense meant, Jake).

You are a monster. For all he knows, you are going to eat him. I adamantly disagree with the daily, forced, handling of any animal in the attempt to calm it. Think about it...if a giant were to reach into your world, chase you around your house, restrain you, and hold you far above the ground - just how long would it take for you not to be afraid of it? It takes time.
Spend time around the enclosure, but not messing with it. Occasionally, offer it a treat - starting on an outstretched palm on the floor of the enclosure, then progressing to holding it in your fingers. Hold him occasionally, while sitting on the sofa or a comfortable chair. Try not to restrain him too much, but you won't want him to get away (imagine trying to catch him as he races through your house). Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed effective generic plan, so you will have to pay a lot of attention to his responses. One day, months from now, you may notice that he is calming down...it may or may not last. As they get some size, though, they tend not to be as afraid, so it does get easier (even if they never seem to like handling)

Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Tim Cole
Taming an Iguana?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
As they get some size, though, they tend not to be as afraid, so it does get easier (even if they never seem to like handling)
I'm not sure if the usual violent defensive responses of an adult are really an improvement over the skittishness though.

My advice to the original poster, simply and directly, would be to get rid of the iguana. They make piss poor pets for the overwhelming majority of people and, given the specific nature and tone of the questions you're asking... I'd wager you're completely and utterely unprepared to keep one.

Which books did you get? Which web resources did you find?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Wilomn
I've found a good method is to keep a bag of BBQ briquettes near the cage. Let the lizard become familiar with them, the smell, the shape, the colour.

Next, put him BY the BBQ itself if you can but DO NOT use the briquettes. Yet.

If he continues to remain untamable, let him see you grill a steak or two, better yet a whole fish as some seem to recognize fish as other creatures inhabiting the same forest niche.

If he still continues, well, fire up them briquettes and break out the beers, it's BBQ time.

Yum, chicken of the jungle.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
PythonWallace
Exactly. If he doesn't catch on, at least he'll be delicious. Just give him some time, so he'll put some weight on and make a decent meal if he can't settle down.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
hhmoore
OK, so I was trying not to state the obvious...after all, it should be obvious. Iguanas do not make great pets, as a rule. Most people are thoroughly unprepared to meet their needs for the duration of their natural life...so that life frequently ends early, or is spent with somebody else. A few, though, actually find people willing to devote the time, money, and space...and enjoy them for what they are. Some may even become fairly "tame". Be the exception, and maybe the iguana will be, too

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!