Respiratory Infection! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
runyon_0509
Respiratory Infection!

Does anyone have any advice other than vet assistance? I dont have the money to take all of my feeders to te vet. I have been looking for a home remedy or something that i can buy at a local store. One of them is producing a good bit of the red bloody looking discharge. I dont think i have a whole lot of time with her. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
deborahbroadus
Rats or mice? Discharge from where? You may have to feed them off before it becomes worse and spreads to all your feeders.

Hopefully, this isn't contagious.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
runyon_0509
It is my BIG rats. They are too big to feed. The discharge is coming from her nose.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Focal
I would put them all down now. Even the uninfected just to be sure and start over.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
runyon_0509
hmm. that isnt what i wanted to hear. piss.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Focal
That's just what I would do if I couldn't take them to the vet. I would think they are pain. I'm not sure if the snakes can catch anything but I probably wouldn't take that chance either, although it might be fine. Not sure.

I also read that it could be from stress. Are they new arrivals?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Focal
There is some good stuff here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2235447AAdkMBB

Porphyrin is what they call it.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Focal
Some more:

Rats eyes and noses release a red mucus from them.
This Red discharge can come from the rats eyes or nose.
It is called Porphyrin, it is not blood.
It looks a light reddish color, while blood is a dark red color.
It is produced in the Porphyries glands behind the rat's eyes.
Overproduction of this discharge can be caused by stress or illness.
Porphyrin discharge can be increased if your rat has breathing trouble, pneumonia or Mycoplasma.
Some rats never have a problem with red discharge, and some rats may have it their whole lives.
If you notice your rat has red discharge from its eyes or nose, wash the rats eyes/face with warm water.
Be sure to trim your rats nails frequently, their nails can grow to long and then when cleaning themselves they can scratch their eyes, which can cause their eyes to get irritated and create more discharge, and make it hard for the rat to see.
It is also possible that your rat could get dirt, dust, fur, eyelashes or whiskers into their eyes causing irritation and the Porphyrin to discharge.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
I would put them all down now. Even the uninfected just to be sure and start over.
That's certainly an option, and it would be the simplest manner of handling the issue.

What substrate are they being kept on?

How are the kits doing? Are they being born skinny and weakly? There's a contagious "germ" that will go through a rattery and those left over seem to develop an immunity, at which point you can add fresh rats (I have experienced this) and all is well.

However if it's something else and perhaps develops into a 'carrier' disease then the other rats that you bring in will also develop illnesses.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
runyon_0509
I read all of that this morning. I dont think that it is stress or irritation because they have devloped the sniffles and kind of a "coughing" thing. I would rather not put them down. I was kinda hoping for a remedy. No one on answers really gave an answer. Baytril is supposed to work but it can only be obtained with a vet prescription.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!