Can I see your Eastern Box turtle habitats/enclosures? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Bubbus
Can I see your Eastern Box turtle habitats/enclosures?

We are looking to make a new habitat for our boxie, Bubbus. Just wanted to see other setups for ideas. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
The_Interloper
Here's my 8'x8'x2' enclosure that houses 1.3.0 ETB's.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
bigjej
Thats a very nice enclosure. Do you have an underground guard to prevent them from burrowing out?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
bigjej
Also, what kind of wood did you use? I've been pondering building outdoor enclosures for my 3-Toed BT and RFT but can't really figure out how to do it without risking escapees. Heck cant even figure out the proper non-treated wood to use that wouldnt rot.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
The_Interloper
Thanks. No, I don't have much of an underground guard. The pen is buried about 3" into the dirt but that's about it. I've been keep these same turtles for over 20 years in the same type of pen and I've never had one try to dig out. The trick I found to keeping turtles from escaping is to trick them into thinking they're not penned in. When a turtle come to an obstacle it's either going to a) go around it, b) dig under it, or c) climb over it. To keep my turtles from feeling like they're not penned in I use large spaced rabbit fencing that is green in color.

Here's an extreme closeup of the wire I use.

I used pressure treated lumber for this pen. The new stuff doesn't have all the bad copper/arsenic in it like it did in the past. But if I was to build a new pen I would use that new synthetic wood that they use for decks that's made from recycled plastic. Obviously this stuff with last for pretty much ever. It's a little more expensive but would be well worth it.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
geckobabies
That is an amazing enclosure and beautiful pets! Great job!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
The_Interloper
Thanks!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
beastquake

Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #9
beastquake
i own a small landscaping business and took landscape design. im the only person in nj, pa, and de that i know of that designs and builds these. ive done them with streams, ponds, for water turtle...you name it. my next one for myself is gonna be 900sqft eith arbor and dock

Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
beastquake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbus View Post
We are looking to make a new habitat for our boxie, Bubbus. Just wanted to see other setups for ideas. Thanks!
i would love to discuss this with you. having done so many, ive learned the location can affect the eggs and they wont hatch. i prefer a running water pond kit that is cheap. if you want a drawing lemme know cause i was a draftsman and the engineer before landscaper.

1. they love hastas and hastas ate cheap
2. go to wal mart and plant a black berry bush and blue berry bush
3. i put lattuce up and am growing grapes now
4. i like to go 6 or 8 inches down with chicken wire and curve it into the pen and bury it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!