Lace monitors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
TreeCroc
Lace monitors

Hello,

anyone have any? or know anyone working with lace?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
James.w
I don't think anyone in the states is working with them. Go to varanus.nl, you can get better info there. I know there are a few guys in Australia that breed them, but I don't think exporting is legal.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
TreeCroc
Hi James,

thanks for the input.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Varanus81
Sulfur Monitor

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but this is the only place I've seen them for sale, very expensive because no one really has them in the states yet.

http://blog.thereptilezoo.com/post/T...-is-sold!.aspx

http://www.prehistoricpets.com/produ...water-monitors

Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
TailsWithScales
Armando - He's talking about Varanus varius aka Lace monitor from Australia NOT Varanus salvator from Asia /Indonesia.

This is Varanus varius

The only person I know of in the US who was breeding them was Frank Retes in Arizona but I don't think he's produced a clutch in years. So as of now no one in the US is truly breeding them although there are animals here.

The trade lines from Australia have been closed some 20 years I believe and are in no way being opened any time soon. Zoos can get animals but the time and red tape to actually get them is very lengthy and very costly so Zoos aren't attempting to bring them in.

The few animals I've seen for sale in the US are pricey.

The only forum I know Frank Retes visits anymore is the Kingsnake.com monitor forum so maybe look him up on there and see what his status is. It's been years since I was on that forum so I cannot give an accurate answer.

Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!