HELP! PLEZE! MY IGUANA won't EAT!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
vadas89
Why doesn't somebody help this guy instead of telling him just what he's doing wrong. A they are right, you shouldn't purchase iggies from a pets store, usually they have no clue what they're doing. Get that Iguana to a vet right away, and bring a fresh stool sample. Lettuce and carrots have next to no nutritional value. And don't feed them "bugs" Iguanas are vegetarians. Dandilion greens, collard greens, mustard greens, prickly pear and Yucca roots are the way to go. Fruits can be used occasionally as treats and to get a picky iguana to eat. An adult iguana can reach almost 7 ft. They need a cage that is at least 7-8 ft tall, by 7ft wide, by 5 ft deep. You need a big cage. Also make sure he is getting proper lighting, IE. UVA and a bulb that is rated at least5.0 UVB. He should also have a basking area thatranges from 90- 95 degrees with the ambient temp being high 70s to mid 80's in the rest of the cage. You can usually get this with a basking light. They like to climb so give them plenty of perches. You also occasionally need to dust their food with calcium and vitamin supplements, depending on what you feed them. Iguanas are a huge commitment and require more care then most dogs. You should never impulse buy one ore buy one just to have a reptile. If you're looking for something easier, find a GOOD home for your iguana and try a Leopad Gecko instead.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
vadas89
Oh I also forgot to mention that Iguanas like humidity, I keep my boy at somwhere between 50 and 70 percent, and if somehow you manage to save your iguana and decide to keep him after you've done some research, you need to socialize him everyday. Pet store iguanas are usually stressed and agressive and if you don't intervene with some researched taming techniques you will have a 6-7 foot long agressive lizard. On another note, I feel for you, for your first iguana you took the hard route. My ig, Mesa was from a Pet Store too. The difference is I had kept reptiles for years before I got him, I did my research and I knew what I was in for. I call him a rescue because the store had a 20 in Iggy in a ten gal with no lighting and tons of crickets. This should be what you are trying to avoid,

Old 02-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
vadas89
haha, I just noticed the date from this thread. Oh well, maybe it will help someone else out.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
KevTheDrumma83
yea my iguana won't eat, but he isn't puffed up or anything. i just got him sunday at a swap. he looks and moves around fine he just won't eat. I don't want to take him to the vet bcuz i heard they give them a shot that makes em really aggressive. help

Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTheDrumma83 View Post
yea my iguana won't eat, but he isn't puffed up or anything. i just got him sunday at a swap. he looks and moves around fine he just won't eat. I don't want to take him to the vet bcuz i heard they give them a shot that makes em really aggressive. help
Remember in the chat when you mentioned you were going to a reptile swap and you asked "which was better, snakes or lizards?" and you were told that for you, the best thing was a book- because you obviously didn't know a damn thing about taking care of reptiles?

And the last line of the above post proves you still don't.

Give the iguana to someone who knows how to care for it and don't be such a dumbass in the future. Learn then buy.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
John E Dove
First try to remember, the vet is your friend but it MUST be a reptile vet. Not a small animal vet or a horse vet. They are not really qualified to look at your animal. If their practice is mostly non reptiles the odds are pretty good they are not the vet you want.
You can try this link to find a proper vet nearest you.
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/illinois.html
I have to drive over 100 miles to any good reptile vet so I hope you find one closer.

Now on feeding; What foods have you offered and how are they prepared?
What are the temps and humidity in your Iggys enclosure? How are you heating?
Can you post a pic of your Ig here? Full side shot, top down shot & underside shot nose to just past the vent.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
John E Dove
Sorry Mr. Haley
Didn't know you were already on this one. Guess I need to spend some time in chat once in a while.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Dove View Post
Sorry Mr. Haley
Didn't know you were already on this one. Guess I need to spend some time in chat once in a while.
By all means feel free to point him in the right direction. The direction away from vets wantonly giving out aggression shots direction.

I've pretty well run out of patience with him already. If you can convince him to pay attention and actually learn something, more power to you.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #19
vadas89
Haha, There seems to be some hostility on this thread, I'm almost afraid to ask, but has anyone done any research on the new commercial diets for iguanas by petzone and Zoo Med? Obviously fresh greens are always the way to go but I'm always looking to add a little more variety to my Boys (and girls) diet. Please don't bite my head off, just trying to expand my knowledge a little bit and my own research efforts have been sadly fruitless.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
John E Dove
Please do not think I am biting your head off, I am not.
I presently have 2, 7 year old Iguana rescues that have been fed nothing but that type crap since they were first purchased by the woman who turned them over to me last summer. Neither came to me over 36 inches and I actually had to work with them and use all the food favorites of my 5 foot 7 year olds to get them to take real food.
Incase you cannot tell I think those diets are garbage.
IMO, If a person cannot afford or find real fresh veggies and fruits then they should not try to keep an Iguana.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!