Provent a mite - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 03-01-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
importerofsnake
Provent a mite

Is this product worth buying ?

Old 03-01-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
dself40
Yes it is good stuff

but I buy Equate Bedding Spray from Wal Mart and it is the very samething for a 4th of the cost.And the ingredients are exactly the same.I have used both and now all I use is the Equate brand from Wal MArt.Hope this helps ya out

Old 03-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
importerofsnake
u know where i can order prevent a mite or Equate Bedding Spray on the internet ?
it has to be send to Europe.

i have seached for online shops but no results.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Double "D" Reptiles
simple solution

Okay, first the "official line" for here in the US...Provent-a-Mite is the only US-FDA approved product licensed for mite removal on reptiles.

Now, the Equate stuff, or for that matter almost any equal product commonly used for common head lice contains the same active ingredients found in Proven-A-Mite. We've used the spray as well as the shampoo mixed with water (have use the 2 oz bottle mixed with either 1 quart, 1/2 gallon or 1 gallon depending on specific needs of any given outbreak.) Guess that would closely equate to 1-5 liters depending on need.

Anyway, you can check with your local store which sells over-the-counter medicines and look for the products for head lice. Compare the labels and see what is equal. It's really that easy. If you need the active ingredient, just yell and I'm sure somebody here can provide it.

We had common outbreaks when we had our burms and that was the only cage we ever had problems with. We finally discovered that we had a native mite and eventually got it under total control. Always wondered if it was the species of snake that attracted them or the wood cage that we built for them.

David

Old 03-03-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
ldydrgn
We use Repel PermaNONE found in the camping section of WalMart. It has the same ingredients as Provent a Mite and only costs about $5 a can! It is used in the exact same manner as the Provent a Mite, too (since it's the same stuff).

It looks like this:

Old 04-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
medina.alfred
provent-a-mite

I read that some people use equate bedding spray to kill mites..My ? is do you wash up the cage after spraying it with equate or do you let it stay there ?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
Mokele
No, let it stay, but you MUST let any of these products dry COMPLETELY before returning the reptile to their cage. In liquid form, these sprays are toxic, but once dry, they're harmless to reptiles and will remain so.

I'd like to add that I've used both Provent-a-mite and Equate on mite outbreaks in the same facility, and found both to have equal effect.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
medina.alfred
thanks for the info....

Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
I use provent a mite. I have only needed one can for quite a few months of regular cleanings ( i spray it as a preventative)

Seriously love this stuff.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Uroboros
Do NOT use it directly on the animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!