An Awful Adoption Experience - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
SilverRaichu
An Awful Adoption Experience

Some of you know I am trying to adopt a dog. I started searching after the loss of Lucky, my 16 year old border collie mix. Its been hard because I am quite picky, I know what I'm looking for, I know what I want in my future dog which is why I'm having trouble finding what I'm looking for.

(please dont send me links to rescues, petfinder, craigslist etc. I am writing this to share my story, and to add i have check every rescue/shelter from upstate ny to as far down south as georgia and as far west to ohio. chances are whatever you send me I saw it already)

So in my early search I did find a dog that I loved who I felt was perfect to me. He was located in a rescue a few hours from me in new york state. I am in northern new jersey but I am willing to travel for the right dog. But unfortunately he got adopted before I put in an application. So it was back to square one. After several searches on Petfinder, I cam across Connor, a border collie located in Knotts Island North Carolina.
I fell in love with him as I did with the dog in NY. I put in an application for him, but they declined me due to distance. Again, back to square one. But after a few weeks of searching, I couldnt shake him off me so with some helpful advice, I emailed them twice asking them to reconsider my application. I told them a little about myself, told them that I work at petsmart and I am knowledgeable with with pet nutrition, different kinds of toys, treats, etc, I also told them that I had a border collie and that I am experienced with this breed f dog. Also adding that I am willing to come down to pick him up and return him in the unlikely event that things didnt work out. From me to them is a little over 7 hrs and I was sure to add that in the email to give them an idea on how far I was. After this I surprising received a response that they would be interest in adopting him to me and that they would like to talk to me on the phone. So i responded with my phone number and let them know when I was available.
They didnt call the next day, two days later I emailed them on my day of letting them know that I was available to to speak to them anytime that day and still no word. A week went by still no word so I posted on their facebook page to see why they hadnt contacted me. I even tried to call them no answer. Finally after 2 and a half weeks, I left a final post on their facebook page. So once again, back to square one.
I dont understand why a rescue would tell me they would adopt to me and completely ignore me. This was upsetting to me. I really felt this dog was the best choice for me. The fact that someone would to this to someone else like that just shows me that some people cant be trusted no matter who and where they are

this is the rescue https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forev...669918?fref=ts

I hope that no one else should be treated unfairly as I did.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Lucille
Stephanie,

I am so sorry this happened to you. Tt sounds like you found the perfect dog and that you are really upset because at the last minute, the shelter people stopped communicating with you.

It is difficult to know what happened. There are some people in rescue that have God complexes and seem to delight in not adopting, rather than adopting.
But there could be another explanation, or a number of explanations, that may not be obvious.
The rescue may be very busy making plans to house extra dogs in the upcoming storm. The dog may be ill and perhaps they are concentrating on seeing whether it will get well. All guesses. But it would have been good of them to at least say something.

Perhaps you could try Craigslist or a different shelter. I wish you the best, you sound like an awesome critter owner.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
SilverRaichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Stephanie,

I am so sorry this happened to you. Tt sounds like you found the perfect dog and that you are really upset because at the last minute, the shelter people stopped communicating with you.

It is difficult to know what happened. There are some people in rescue that have God complexes and seem to delight in not adopting, rather than adopting.
But there could be another explanation, or a number of explanations, that may not be obvious.
The rescue may be very busy making plans to house extra dogs in the upcoming storm. The dog may be ill and perhaps they are concentrating on seeing whether it will get well. All guesses. But it would have been good of them to at least say something.

Perhaps you could try Craigslist or a different shelter. I wish you the best, you sound like an awesome critter owner.
Thank you. Regardless of what ever was going on, I just wish I could of gotten some sort of explanation. While I agree with all the possibilities as to why they never answered me, I doubt the storm, only because this goes back exactly 3 weeks from today. I would check with thier facebook to see if they were active and responded to other people who commented or posted and they would. Everytime I tried to look at all the reasonable explanations it just goes back to the fact that I got no response to a single email or phone call. I know long distance adopting is difficult, and I was willing to do everything I could to make it as easy as possible. I know people in rescue who would of been willing to work on my behave and perform a vet/home inspection for them. I just dont understand how people can be this way especially those to claim to want to find their dogs good homes.

Thank you for responding I hope things turn out. i do have an ad on cl incase anyone does have anything out their to my criteria

Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Shadera
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.

Rescues seem to be getting tougher to adopt from these days. Many will pass up perfectly good, suitable homes that would provide lifelong love for the animals, in search of that one perfect home that may or may not exist. How anyone manages to adopt, I have no idea. We'd love to adopt an animal, and have the means and time. But An hour or so looking at adoption applications and policies is enough to turn me to just purchasing a pet instead. Although even now most of those folks want your life history. How many rescues are shooting themselves in the foot by having too many hoops to jump through? How is it not a disservice to the animals?

Best of luck, I hope you find your perfect companion, and someone out there sees what a wonderful, loving home you'd be.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
hhmoore
I agree, many of the rescues have unrealistic requirements. I understand that they are trying to find great homes for the dogs in their care, but there is more to a great home than a 6 ft fence. I know many people, myself included, that were declined by rescues...and, without exception, all searched for - and found - dogs elsewhere.

To the OP - don't lose hope. A few years ago, I was searching for another dog, and went through a lot of the same frustrations. Breeders that simply stopped responding when they found out that I already had a dog; rescues that deemed me/mine an unfit home; and the long distance adoption that got thwarted by the system. I eventually got my dog - THE dog - and couldn't be happier with him. He was worth every bit of the aggravation I went through to get him here.
Best of luck

Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
ShadowAceD
I've decided I'm done with "rescues" for this kind of crap. I understand breeders being selective, but for organizations that always seem to be full and always seem desparate to find their dogs their forever home, they sure are inhibitive.

A lot of the people I have encountered in recent years are snobby, have beyond unrealistic expectations and a bias towards different people for different reasons.

I have been denied for being a military spouse, for "working too often", because of the food I choose to feed my dogs (Blue Buffalo), because I keep boas that could unlock their cages, open their door and eat the dog (a GSD, mind you), because I have another neutered male, because I refused to have the dog fixed until he was over a year old as to not disrupt his growth hormones ... etc. etc. etc.

My most recent two dogs were not from rescues. One was from a kill shelter and the other wandered up to my house a few times so I kept her. My next dog, whenever that is, will be from a breeder. However, if I ever rescue again, it will only be from a kill shelter. Those dogs apparently need it more and you are not likely to be turned down. You also face a significantly lowered adoption fee in most instances.

Good luck in your search, Stephanie. When you find the right dog, you'll get them and they'll live a long happy life with you. Every dog I have was not the "intended" animal, and the circumstances I found them by was never planned, but it all worked out in the end.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
SilverRaichu
Thank you for your responses
I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way about adoption policies and requirments. I've been seeing this going on for quite sometime and always wanted to bring it up as a topic somewhere but was afraid it might backfire, especially at my job (petsmart), I am surrounded by rescue groups.

ShadowAceD- I am surprised you would get declined you for feeding blue buffalo, imo its one of the best foods you can feed your pet. But on the op, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. If a rescue doesn't want someone to adopt one of their dogs then I guess any excuse will work. In your case at least you got a reason. Not that any of them were good ones.

When I adopted the dog I have now, which was about 7 years ago, though the adoption process to me qualified as ridiculous, and I got declined by them twice, the process seems like nothing compared to today. Every adoption application was more ridiculous than the last, even returning from the high kill shelter where my dog came from, they're
Adoption process is crazy. The application asked for my ssn#.I've had more legal documents that didn't even ask for that. And I remember then a home inspection was an option, now everyone requires it. The reason why I wanted and push to try to adopt that dog from NC, because the dog seemed so mean for me and the adoption process was simple.
Though I understand they have good intention for their pets, its like Shadera said, they are shooting themselves in the foot because of all of this.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Lucille
I think many people like to have some influence and power. Maybe it's human nature, I don't know. I think that is one of the reasons for the rise in gangs- the members feel as if they are now Important, and what had been a relatively ordinary life is suddenly transformed. There is no doubt that some gangs are influential and feared because they sometimes exercise power just for the pleasure of doing it.
Maybe the inordinate number of hoops put in front of potential adopters, the questions, the poking and prodding of someone who just wants a pet, can be explained by this need to feel important. Perhaps some rescues are now the gangstas of the pet world.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Shadera
Put it this way. We were trying to adopt a cat several years ago. We jumped through the hoops with several rescues. Our main reference, Shawn's boss at the time, has adopted three children from a foreign country. He looked at our adoption application, and said he didn't have to answer questions like that to adopt humans, and couldn't believe we were going through that for a cat.

Eventually, we did find our kitty. A local breeder gave him to us free of charge and without answering a single question on paper, because he was 9 years old and she thought we were good people from meeting us once prior. We've had 4 perfect years together so far. I hope that anyone looking to bring in a homeless critter can find their perfect match so easily.

I agree Lucille, I think some folks do have the power trip thing going on. It's so sad that so many more animals would have solid homes if it weren't for them. People want to do the right thing and adopt, but some of those questions and process are intimidating. Around here, they even want to talk to your neighbors about you.

Maybe we should start a thread in hell to further discuss rescue issues?
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
SilverRaichu
That might be a good idea Shadera, I think these issues should be discussed. I believe there are a lot of people who deal with this and it would be nice to have a thread where people can freely talk about their issues with out be "attacked" by those supporting rescue's requirements and policies like on sites like petfinder.

Something about this that really bothers me is that if you get a pet from a pet store, backyard breeder, or licensed breeder, people who support rescue with criticize you for not adopting. Then when you explain you tried to adopt and tell about your troubles with trying to rescue then you'll get a response saying that they had perfectly legitimate reasons for rejecting you. I got an email like this in a response to an ad I put on craigslist saying that I was looking for a bc.
Someone I work with has a purebred he bought from a breeder. He brought it to work the day he bought it and some lady came up to him looking at his puppy saying how cute it was etc etc.. but when she asked what rescue he got it from and he told her the pup was from a breeder, it was like a light switch flipped. She literally argued with him on how terrible he was for not choosing to rescue a homeless pet etc.
It really is a lose/lose situation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!