ETBs or GTP? Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Arboreal Boas/Pythons

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #1
Gex the Gecko
Question ETBs or GTP? Help

Currently intrested in owning areboreals, either a ETB or GTP. I heard ETBs(what i really want) go off feed and are finicky eaters and die easly, also heard there personality isnt the best. GTP i hear eat like pigs and are more freindly, although i dont intend to touch them that much. a little help pleasE? thank you
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
meb4989
I have a juvenile GTP and he's very friendly and eats well. I have no experience with any other arboreals but this is my favorite snake. Why do you like ETBs?

Old 07-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
robin d.
have you kept other snakes before and if so what? GTP's once started eat well but if you get a baby you have to be careful not to feed it alot... i go with the poo and feed method (or they will prolaps) once they are aover 1 year -18 months they can go on to a 7-10 or 10-12 days feeding routeen. if you have not kept any snakes or if this would be your first arboreal i would suggest either a LTC ABT or cbb atb... and not all green trees are nice ALOT of them are wicked and nastey just like ETB's can get and ATB's are... seems like atbs are much more giving or hardy if you will and it beasts spending 300+ (base price) dollars for a GTP or $500+ (base price for an ETB... you can get some ophases of the ATB for$100 sometimes less depending on what color phase they are... but dont to fresh import.... get a well establushed animal no matter what you get

Old 07-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
TimCoplan
check out some of the animals I have for sale on this page. I would recommend that ETB as a starter one, it is rock-solid all the way, no problems what so ever. Id also recommend any of those gtps for a starter also.

Drop me an email
t.coplan@comcast.net

Thanks,
Tim Coplan

Old 07-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
meb4989
I don't think Chondros are difficult at all. I got my baby before he even ate( discount) and it only took me two tries and now he an established feeder. With feeding you just have to be persistent. Chondros have very specific care guidelines but if you get them down they are easy as cake. I think it is stupid to go out and get an ATB if what you really want is a GTP because then you might not be as devoted to it and get an innacurate perception. I'm 15 and have only been in the hobby for a few years and my chondro is thriving. The only snakes I had kept before my GTP were hognoses, ball pythons, and bull snakes. If you get a CB baby Aru and handle it weekly you should end up with a FAIRLY "tame" snake. They are really individuals when it comes to temperement. If you can provide their care then I highly reccomend reading up on the COMPLETE CHONDRO and getting one. They are absolutley fun and fascinating!!!

Old 07-26-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
TimCoplan
I wouldnt say all chondros are that easy to get feeding, nor would I recomend a non-feeding snake to any beginner. I also disagree with that handling idea. Most arus are going to be placid no matter how much you handle them. Now lets say you have a nasty biak or other locality, handling them every week is going to be a waste of time. You also should not be handling babies, because once off their perch some can go crazy and accidents can happen. I would just recommend reading up a lot on them before you purchase one and have the correct set-up before you buy the snake.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
robin d.
ahh what do i know

[ deleted for butchering the endlish launguage, run on sentences, lack of puctuation, spelling, typing errors and for not proof reading...and im sure a number of other things]

Old 07-26-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
Gex the Gecko
ok....

everytime i post on here with a question, i never get a straight anserew or people start there own conversations in my orginal post. I dont care cause this is a forum ment for that purpose.
To anserew the first persons question, i prefer ETB's for there prestige and like there paterns more so then GTP. I just want to know what you people think as the only snake ive ever kept before was a whole BUNCH of Garter snakes and my current Red tail boa. I own a crested gecko so im familar with humidty requirments, temps and daily mistings for a crested and have read INSANE amounts of info on ETB and GTP. Im tryin see if one is more finicky then the other in eating as im aware male ETBS can be. and what are the pros and cons of the 2? thank you.
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
Lucille
Robin U R funny!!!
BTW I got no geckos, but the pix of the ones in the classified you are selling are just gorgeous!!

Old 07-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
meb4989
Tim, gentle, consistent handling will tame down a Biak but it won't be instant. Sure, they will never be as tame as a nice Aru but it will help somewhat. Also with handling babies my philosiphy is with gentle handling(no grasping, snake treating you as a branch) it will set a nice base for having a tame older snake. I let my baby wrap around my hand over a soft mattress and have never had a problem. They are fragile little guys but can be handeled safely. And I bought a non-eating snakes cause I have dealt with tons of non-eating hogs so I am very experienced in that area, so it was no problem for me.

Original poster, I cannot give you pros and cons because I have never owned an ETB. For chondros, temperament could be pro and con cause it is highly variable. I would say beuaty and ease of care would probably be two more pros. For cons, I would say expense, and troublesome feeders for youngsters but when they are older they are very aggressive feeders.

Hope I helped!, Mike.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread